TH400 swap

I did the th400 swap about 12 years ago after getting tired of the 2004r failing on me and not wanting to spend an arm & leg on having one built and taking a chance of having it still fail.

I did the swap in my garage by myself with the aid of a floor jack and jack stands. I bought the TCI Th400 streetfighter BOP transmission from Jegs, An 9'' 3500 stall converter from Pat's Performance Converters,a flexible braided transmission dipstick/tube assy off ebay,the driveshaft i measured and bought from Denny's Driveshaft a 3'' HD unit,speedometer gears i bought from the local AAmco transmission shop,for the transmission mount i modified the stock 2004r one and reused it, i used the stock crossmember,the stock transmission lines were able to be used just had to bend them a little to get to hookup, i had to get a shifter bracket to bolt to the transmission to use with the stock column shift linkage i bought it off ebay, It wasn't to hard of a job i just took my time and made sure i got it right without any leaks or surprises of any kind. My car is just used for street driving so OD is not missed, i just put the shifter in Drive and let the transmission shift itself. The th400 has been very kind to my wallet over these years just fluid and filter changes is all i have to do. I don't ever regret doing the swap.

I forgot to mention that i bought an mechanical modulator from a company named Transtar it replaced the vacuum modulator and allowed the transmission to shift automatically like a stock one would. Later on i found a vacuum valve that i was able to use with an adjustable vacuum modulator from B&M that let me adjust my shift points the way i wanted, that the mechanical modulator didn't allow for.

Last edited: