testing coil pack

buickturboman

Where can I find the procedure for testing my coil pack with a digital volt meter so I know if it is working properly. I really don't want to buy a new pack right now unless I know mine is bad. If I need to buy a new one, I think I read to avoid the AC Delco, pls advise here.
What is the recommended MSD unit for the GN and are they really needed? I eventually want to get the Razer alky kit once I get my other problem solved since the new MAF and EGR sensor didn't solve my prob (needed the EGR since I broke the stem to the hose anyway). Thanks..

Test for 11-13 ohms on each coil if I remember correctly.

I don't know why you would avoid AC Delco parts.

Some of our supporitng vendors have great prices on ignition parts right now.

EDIT: Also you may want to tell us WHY you think your coil is bad and maybe someone can give you ideas of other things to check.

You can check your coilpak/ignition module with an olm meter or a Casper's coilpak tester, but even if it tests good, doesn't mean it's good. The only way to test it is a WOT run. It should run smooth and strong through the gears. If you think you have a problem with the unit on your car, find another TR owner and swap on his known good unit. If this corrects the problem, you'll know your unit has a defect, either the coilpak or the ignition module.

By the the way, you must have read or heard that Delco advice wrong. Delco is the only brand you want to buy as far as ignition modules.

the best way to check for a failing coilpack or module is useing the casper's coil pack tester.

doing the ohms test with a DVOM will only tell ya if the coil pack is shorted out. i have tested many of them with a DVOM and they show to ohm out fine but still be bad.

MAGNAVOX no longer makes these modules anymore and the aftermarket ones are junk. i recently went thru this i bought 3 new ones from advance auto and they wouldn't work and then i went and got one from napa and it was a no go.

so try to find a new old stock ac-delco unit.

the best thing to do is upgrade to the type 2 coil pack and module set-up from a 87-92 FWD 3800 in 93 they changed the type 2 and craeted the fast-start module that uses a diffrent style crank sensor.

AC-DELCO sells the coil-pack bracket to change from the magnavox to the delco type 2 it's like 15-18 bucks.

also the delco coils have more firing voltage than the magnavox.

hope all this helps.

BTW 2-5 coil is the one that usally goes out first in the magnavox coil.

Thanks for the feedback. I just purchased one on ebay. I had no opinions on the AC delco, just someone's comments I read and thought I'd ask. I am doing some parts replacement to rule out things so for $55 it is worth getting a new pack to rule out a problem I seem to be having. Genuine GM/ACDelco Coil Pack
Part # 12353801
I just replaced my MAF and EGR sensor so now if the problem remains with the new pack, may be time to take it to Buick. Car has been garaged for 2 years so maybe moisture and lack of regular driving has caused some of my problems. Once I get it back to it's ass kicking self, I will be asking about MSD ignition systems and benefits and who likes what Alky systems. I was running 21-22 lbs boost when I had it at the track and left it with that set up. Car was running strong. Can I run this same level of boost with alky without detonation. How about Methanol? Considering the cost I paid fr Blue Gas.

Is that the same fuel thats been in the tank for two years? If so, gas will gel after a while clogging everything up. I would drain the tank and install a new fuel filter. Then I would check and see if you can use a can of 44K in our cars. That stuff works great and will clean your injectors. I would also look into some new plugs and wires...clean or replace air filter as well.