Testing an external wastegate

daverr

i was wondering how to test a external wastegate. theres two ports one on top and the other on the side.which one do i add air pressure to?????it`s a turbonetics race gate.

If you want to see if it will open, put the air pressure on the side. Start with the regulator around 5# and slowly work it up until the valve opens.

ok i added air pressure to the side.I found that after u add pressure u have to help the valve off it`s seat(exhaust pressure would help it off the seat with the engine running). I found out after taking the wastegate apart ,that the actuator shaft is two piece. Is it normal for some airpressure to leak out the top port??? I looked at the diaphram and it was fine.

I hope you don't have to help it much. You should be able to raise the pressure slowly and the valve move on it's own. With a 5# spring in my gate it takes around 15# of pressure for the gate to begin opening. 20# will open it fairly quickly. If you have to help it move with a good bit of pressure it could be sticking....but it's hard to judge from the keyboard.

I would think you would not have any air leaking by the diaphram, but that depends on it's design. You said the diaphram looks fine so I'd have to guess it's not sealing well around the edges. As long as it's minimal it shouldn't be a problem

I think i might of ruptured the diaphram due to me putting too much pressure in the wastegate.Or it could of been already broken .Does turbonetics offer a rebuild kit????