Tell me what you think of my buildup plans.

Berman

Ok, instead of being cheap I'm going to do this right. I bought an '86 GN that needs some work, so here's my plan:

motor and tranny immediately pulled out. Dissassemble motor, send block and other re-usable parts to machine shop (crank, etc). Have new valve guides, valve job, etc done to head. Have the head ported decently (it's already off, might as well). Send the tranny (which currently works fine, btw) out to tranny shop to be gone through. (better safe than sorry). Do some of the common tranny upgrades. Use 206/206 cam, with the Kirban valve springs (I already have 'em). All ARP, all Fel-Pro. (to do otherwise is dumb)

I think with the ported head, the 206/206 cam, fuel system, hooker exhaust, intercooler neck, ls1 maf, bigmouth, and a good chip the car should roll pretty nice. I want it to run as fast as possible in street trim, so there's not too much point in upgrading the stock turbo.

Realistically, on 93 octane, do you think this combo can run 12s @ 108 or so? I know on race gas, race chip, a stock car with the bolt-ons I listed can run this. I figure with the little cam and headwork it can do it on 16-17 lbs of boost, in street trim? I'd like to put down 275-300 hp / 450 torque to the wheels.

Tell me what you guys think. If I'm totally off, please educate me.

I don't see why not but the stock turbo will not run the fastest on the street. If you upped to a TA-49/44 it would be much easier and more effective! With RA-93 on pump gas, 19.5 PSI and a 63 turbo- 11.52@118:eek: so the turbo does help :D

Originally posted by Intercooler
I don't see why not but the stock turbo will not run the fastest on the street. If you upped to a TA-49/44 it would be much easier and more effective! With RA-93 on pump gas, 19.5 PSI and a 63 turbo- 11.52@118:eek: so the turbo does help :D

I'll put in the right injectors so I can upgrade the turbo when I get more money. Modding 2 cars is totally draining my wallet. :mad:

On 93 octane with a stock turbo you will be pushing it to get in the high 12's in true street trim. With Alky though, it should be pretty easy to get low 12's with what you listed above. Don't forget to upgrade the fuel pump and wiring as it will be needed.

Originally posted by Berman
Ok, instead of being cheap I'm going to do this right. I bought an '86 GN that needs some work, so here's my plan:

Realistically, on 93 octane, do you think this combo can run 12s @ 108 or so? I know on race gas, race chip, a stock car with the bolt-ons I listed can run this. I figure with the little cam and headwork it can do it on 16-17 lbs of boost, in street trim? I'd like to put down 275-300 hp / 450 torque to the wheels.

Tell me what you guys think. If I'm totally off, please educate me.

What "work" does your car require as is right now?

I prefer to see guys baseline their car, and then get as much performance as possible (within reason) out of the car as is before doing any upgrades. It's alot tougher to get a car to run the numbers that you think it should if it hasn't been there before.

What I'm saying is if it is an option, why not get the car unning 12's on racegas and slicks first and then do the teardown and the ported heads etc.

Re: Re: Tell me what you think of my buildup plans.

Originally posted by c&cgn

What "work" does your car require as is right now?

What I'm saying is if it is an option, why not get the car unning 12's on racegas and slicks first and then do the teardown and the ported heads etc.

It ain't an option. It's knocking. The work it needs is a rebuild. Actually the knock isn't very bad, it could maybe be a bent valve or something instead of a lower end problem. But it's stupid to pull the heads off twice. So it's all coming apart.

Another reason not to do as you're saying, if the motor was ok as is - I'd hate to really hurt something because I'm racing an old motor whose condition and mileage is completely unknown. I understand from a tuning point of view why it would be better to do it your way, but the potential to injure the motor/tranny is too great. What if my torque converter is a pos, and balloons up, and ruins the crank? Or what if there's some little broken pieces inside the tranny that aren't a big deal if it's all taken apart and replaced, but I don't take it apart and race it like you say and then it blows the **** out of the whole tranny?

Originally posted by 1badTTA
On 93 octane with a stock turbo you will be pushing it to get in the high 12's in true street trim. With Alky though, it should be pretty easy to get low 12's with what you listed above. Don't forget to upgrade the fuel pump and wiring as it will be needed.

Of course. I have the fuel pump and hotwire kit already. Actually I have all the bolt-ons already. The only things I haven't bought would be new sensors (don't know which are bad yet).

I'm an engineer - so of course I'm making my own alky kit. Stock fuel pump, and fuel solenoids & jets from a nitrous kit.

I'm also designing a completely new digital dash for the car and building it from scratch (this is actually quite easy and the parts are fairly cheap. all the digital dashes for sale, cyberdyne and dakota for example, are incredible rip-offs. I can design the thing in a few hours, write the code for it in an afternoon, and build it over a weekend. And I'm only a young electrical engineer - some of the older more experienced guys here at work could do this in their sleep.

Originally posted by Berman

It ain't an option. It's knocking. The work it needs is a rebuild. Actually the knock isn't very bad, it could maybe be a bent valve or something instead of a lower end problem.

Another reason not to do as you're saying, if the motor was ok as is - I'd hate to really hurt something because I'm racing an old motor whose condition and mileage is completely unknown. I understand from a tuning point of view why it would be better to do it your way, but the potential to injure the motor/tranny is too great. What if my torque converter is a pos, and balloons up, and ruins the crank? Or what if there's some little broken pieces inside the tranny that aren't a big deal if it's all taken apart and replaced, but I don't take it apart and race it like you say and then it blows the **** out of the whole tranny?

It was just a suggestion man. Those are the chances you take when you buy a 15 year old used car.

I doubt if there are many guys on the board that bought a car and then re-did the entire motor and tranny "just in case". But if that's the route you want to go, fine by me, I was just trying to help save you a few $$ and a whole lot of headaches in the future. Afterall, you did put the question out there" What do you think of my buildup". My reply was basically, don't do it if you don't absolutely have to. Sounds like you have $$ to burn so go for it.