Te actuator mod

big_buick

student of speed
I've been searching on adapting my stock adj wastegate act. to a te turbo. and as i understand it you have to take off one of the backing(retaining) plates and weld it together. What i wanted to know is if im buying a used turbo and the person decided to keep the act. for thier new one will it be missing a plate? Do vendors do this too or do they have a custom bracket lay on top of the plate?

Also if someone had pics or link of moded unmoded bracket i would love them forever!

I just mated up a bone stock TTA wastegate to a TE44 turbo-

I have done this in the past, its kinda redneck, but it works-

Take 1 of the 3 bolts out that hold the compressor outer ring out, and go to the hardware store and purchase another bolt 1/4 - 1/2 inch longer-

The stock wastegate is about 3/8s too short to reach that second bolt hole, so take the bottom bolt and put it thru the bottom hole of the wastegate.
Your going to use the longer bolt now, take a 3/8s washer and a 1/2 washer and use them to clamp OVER the wastegate.
Using the 2 washers will have enough meat over the wastegate braket to hold it super tight-

I had my wastegate tightened down super tight and was running 30+psi and it never loosened up.
The reason for the longer bolt is so you will have enough threads with the 2 washers.
I can take a picture if you like, i have one sitting apart right now
BW

Originally posted by Quick6'n'-K.C.
I just mated up a bone stock TTA wastegate to a TE44 turbo-

I have done this in the past, its kinda redneck, but it works-

Take 1 of the 3 bolts out that hold the compressor outer ring out, and go to the hardware store and purchase another bolt 1/4 - 1/2 inch longer-

The stock wastegate is about 3/8s too short to reach that second bolt hole, so take the bottom bolt and put it thru the bottom hole of the wastegate.
Your going to use the longer bolt now, take a 3/8s washer and a 1/2 washer and use them to clamp OVER the wastegate.
Using the 2 washers will have enough meat over the wastegate braket to hold it super tight-

I had my wastegate tightened down super tight and was running 30+psi and it never loosened up.
The reason for the longer bolt is so you will have enough threads with the 2 washers.
I can take a picture if you like, i have one sitting apart right now
BW

I'd like a picture of it please. Send it to me at jwest@oppd.com

Thanks,

Pictures sent, i went ahead and took pictures of a correctly brazed wastegate on a TE series compressor housing outer ring, it is the one not connected to the turbo.
That is the correct way of doing it.

also, you can add a third washer if you are worried, just get a longer bolt.

I will see if i can figure out how to post some pictures here too.

I forgot, if you are running a Precision front mount, neither will work because the wastegate wont rotate down far enough because you will clock the turbo down for the old pipe.

Jerrad, yours bounced already.

BW

The pics were just sent.

The mod was done to a TE44 turbo, behind that is a TE45a, and the huge one is for my cummins turbo diesel.
BW

i also modified my stock wastegate bracket for my te44. mine is held on by one single bolt but i am using two of those threads sticking off the compressor housing to keep the bracket straight. so my bracket looks like swiss cheese.
i would like to see how you set yours up Quick6'n'-K.C. .
could you send another set of pics to my email?
ryan.frerichs@gmail.com

TIA

Quick: I cleaned out my email so can you try and send again? I really appreciate it. Thanks Jerrad

Quick 6 , Well I made a bracket that bolts in the holes where my turbo shield would bolt, welded the W/G to my bracket, had to shorten the adjustment rod to about one and a half inches, but it works like a dream, took about 3-4 hours. thanks for your help, just had to see some ideas, to get me motivated, thanks again.
Vern.

No problem guys, glad to help out.

I wished that i could post pictures here in the turbo section, but there is no "BROWSE" button showing up when i post.

jerrad and ryan, pics sent to ya'll

BW