TCI shift kit+non brf VB+GN gov=ok?

Firechicken

Hi guys, because I am on a budget, I can't afford to buy a BRF core, so I bought a few junkyard cores for $50ea. I figured it is good to have a couple of spares.

I now have a total of 3 cores. Of the 3, which would be the best candidate, and since I have a TCI pro super kit, can I use the TCI shift kit along with any of these tranny's and a GN gov? Will the combination be ok, or should I just use the stock gov?

The cores I have are:

1984 HE
1988 CTF <---- has 690 pump
1988 KJF <---- has 690 pump

Originally posted by Firechicken
984 HE
1988 CTF <---- has 690 pump
1988 KJF <---- has 690 pump

I don't know what the CTF is. The KJF is a V8 Olds 307 trans. Either of the 88 cores are the way to go (over the 84 core.) On the gov, if you've got a 3.8 T, go w/ a 3.8 T governor; should be the happiest setup :)

A GN governor assembly will NOT WORK with either of those valve bodies. I have tried to put one in my KCF code trany and would not shift. The GN governor only works with the BRF VB or a VB that has been modded to GN specs.

Use the stock one if your going to use a Non BRF VB. If a higher shift point is required, remove small amounts of metal off the governor weights till shift points are as desired. Also, Make sure you put some sort of retainers to keep the springs from flying out.