Tap tap on the MAF, thoughts?

HandsomeSam

SammyTurbo
So Yesterday I layed into my 87 GN like never before (only had it about a month now). Pulled over a bit to cool it off. As I was pulling away it sputtered a bit in acceleration. Got worse, got to the point to where I was gonna pull over on the interstate but I made it home. The idle was kinda rough too but not as bad as accelerating. I couldnt believe it, I was thinking the worse, the motor is rebuilt only about a 1000 on it and I blew the thing apart. Then other ideas started to cross my mind. So after hearing that the MAF is a common one for this problem. I messed around with it, tapped it and the engine was reacting to it (sputter) then I disconnected it, ran smoother, connected it and stalled. I see a light now and releaved that its not looking like something internal. I don't have any codes and I dont have a scanmaster yet. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and get a MAF, the thing I'm wondering though is why would this go bad just because I layed into the pedal, thoughts?

10 years ago mine went bad. I went to work no problem, when I left it sputtered just like yours. It did smooth out when I unplugged it. I did buy a stock MAF back then BUT if it happens now I will go LT1 MAF & Translator. :D

10 years ago mine went bad. I went to work no problem, when I left it sputtered just like yours. It did smooth out when I unplugged it. I did buy a stock MAF back then BUT if it happens now I will go LT1 MAF & Translator. :D

X2, the same exact thing happened to me:eek: just with several sensors, so now i took your next step and have not looked back, LT1 works awesome.

my car going home got so bad that going up a small hill was an adventure, buckin all the way home!

I like what I'm hearing, giving me hope on a good fix. You got a link or even a store like ie Autozone, no place here that specializes in these cars, I think my GN is the only one or two in this town

I like what I'm hearing, giving me hope on a good fix. You got a link or even a store like ie Autozone, no place here that specializes in these cars, I think my GN is the only one or two in this town

well, my luck with reman. units is not very good. i believe i got one from autozone, and then tried two different ones from advance auto. after teh last advance auto unit i went to the Lt1 sensor with a translator, boost went up 4psi and car idle was better.

here's a link to the lt1, ls1 and translators:
FULL THROTTLE SPEED - Items Page

and this is a cardone MAF from Advance auto, lasted the longest, except for the original one:
While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

well, my luck with reman. units is not very good. i believe i got one from autozone, and then tried two different ones from advance auto. after teh last advance auto unit i went to the Lt1 sensor with a translator, boost went up 4psi and car idle was better.

here's a link to the lt1, ls1 and translators:
FULL THROTTLE SPEED - Items Page

and this is a cardone MAF from Advance auto, lasted the longest, except for the original one:
While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com
Ouch, translator isnt cheap, think I'm gonna get the cardone for now, and get the translator set-up later, to close to Christmas. Thanks, I looking on Kirban around 200 bucks but I'll take the cardone so I can least see if this fixes the problem.

The remans are hit & miss! Some flow properly & 1/2 dont! Get the Gen 2 translator setup from Full Throttle cuz you will end up doing it anyways in the long run. If you go reman try it in the parking lot it if you can (even then full throttle might be only just ok) OR get a used stocker on the board that will last a few more years hopefully? I went thru a bunch & had 5 at one point for spares. Now I keep one for testing but the the Gen 2 is an awesome setup!

PS: Make sure you dont get the Egg Shaped reman if you go that route as they are the worst!

The remans are hit & miss! Some flow properly & 1/2 dont! Get the Gen 2 translator setup from Full Throttle cuz you will end up doing it anyways in the long run. If you go reman try it in the parking lot it if you can (even then full throttle might be only just ok) OR get a used stocker on the board that will last a few more years hopefully? I went thru a bunch & had 5 at one point for spares. Now I keep one for testing but the the Gen 2 is an awesome setup!

PS: Make sure you dont get the Egg Shaped reman if you go that route as they are the worst!

the microtech one? the one that is necked down? if so yea, it was pretty bad;)

If you lucky you can find a GM one Or AC DELCO reman.
I just went to a 4inch zo6 setup and have a AC DELCO maf remaned BY AC DELCO for sale it was on the car for a few weeks and definalty 100% works perfect all scanmaster reading look dead on. $75.00 shipped !!

Sorry not trying to sell here just a cheeper option than buying $300.00 worth of stuff for you

If you lucky you can find a GM one Or AC DELCO reman.
I just went to a 4inch zo6 setup and have a AC DELCO maf remaned BY AC DELCO for sale it was on the car for a few weeks and definalty 100% works perfect all scanmaster reading look dead on. $75.00 shipped !!

Sorry not trying to sell here just a cheeper option than buying $300.00 worth of stuff for you

That's you, handsome :rolleyes: .... don't even bother with the advanced/autozone POS.... they are NOT calibrated correctly... some will 'work', virtually none will work 'right'... take it for what it's worth.....

This just happened with me. I had a brand new out of the box Z06 MAF. The car was reacting just as your was. The new MAF had gone bad, and a switch to another new one cured the problem.

Another option- All my four 87 MAFs died (send them to Kirbans for $25 credit each)and the loaner reman did not work. My solution was a 3inch LT1 new delphi MAF part number AF10045-11b1 and a MAF Translator(not plus because my fueling and timing are controlled through a wide band o2 sensor, powerlogger, and TT chip). You can use various MAF with the translator. My set up was not cheap-~$400. Advantage new-very expensive. Brad

P.S A better idea is get a three bar MAP sensor, New TT chip, powerlogger and you can actually eliminate the MAF sensor completely.

Agree with above about the remans - waist of time (so I've heard - no personal experience since my car never breaks:biggrin:)

Well you could always go out on a limb Mine works , Heck if you need it I would send mine out and you can pay AFTER you verify its good. Thats all I can offer. Other than be sure its your maf, ( check plug ,check signal)

I went with the cardone from Advance Auto cheaper option for now. Although if it does fix it sounds like it might just be a bandaid after hearing from all of you. Just dont have the extra dollars to spend on a higher end at this moment. I'm still catching up on the taxes I had to fork over for buying this car. I know these cars can get expensive (use to have a t-type) but not so soon after just buying my GN. Deffently gonna look into getting the translator sooner or later maybe sooner than later. I really appreciate all the help you guys have givin me, speaks volumes about the Regal enthusits commutnity. I will keep ya posted on my findings, the part is suppose to arrive here the 25th. Thanks guys