Tailpipe exhaust hanger????

Nasty Wendy

Perverted Lurker
OK so I'm putting in my exhaust and the tailpipes have these tabs near the tips. They are to be used as hangers. Is there something else I need or am I just supposed to 'make' this work? I would have to put together something to suffice and could but wanted to know if I would be 'reinventing the wheel'. Is there something simple already available that is used to attach these hangers?

You can see the tabs near the tailpipe exit.
$_57.JPG

Yeah...a couple coat hangers and some duct tape will hold them in place.

Use bandclamps to attach the pipes together, and depending on where the pipes exit the body...you'll have to create some hangers. I've never had tabs in those locations.

Sometimes you can get by just having to drill and tap a hole. Sometimes you you will need to weld a bracket off the rear frame. If you bolt it up use some thread lock on the bolts.

I think some had bolts with rubber isolators and washers for each side of the tabs too.

Can't remember if they were Kenne Bell or ATR that used that method.

Line it up and see if it will bolt to the frame directly or if it needs to hang down an inch or so to fit better.

^^^

they should have come with rubber isolators and the tabs should match up to some pre-existing holes in the frame

I think some had bolts with rubber isolators and washers for each side of the tabs too.

Can't remember if they were Kenne Bell or ATR that used that method.

Line it up and see if it will bolt to the frame directly or if it needs to hang down an inch or so to fit better.

My old ATR dual exhaust was setup like that. They bolted to existing holes in the rear of the frame.

Thanks guys that's exactly what I needed to know. I think I'll be able to drill and tap a solution. Or I could just tie them in place with old t-shirts right Coach :)

^^^

they should have come with rubber isolators and the tabs should match up to some pre-existing holes in the frame

Well Gerry what happened was I'd gotten this system from Cotton's quite a few years ago in Bowling Green. The system was installed and worked GREAT. I loved it. One of the tailpipes was damaged in the midst of the transport of my car after the fire and I needed to replace it. I was informed that this system wasn't made anymore and that tailpipes were not available. I had to buy a replacement set of tailpipes off of ebay and modify (cut and weld to reclock the tips) to exit in the proper locations. These tailpipes came as you see in the pics. The original set that came with the system did have everything.

The original pipes were aluminized steel and these are polished stainless so they are prettier.:)

They sure are pretty. I have stainless kenne bell and it is nice but not that shiny.

OK so my tailpipes were ID'd as being a GN1 exhaust. Mark Hueffman deals these and got me hooked up with the proper hardware to hang them. They came out great. Thanks everyone and thanks again Mark.

Getting that exhaust hung is a load off. I was sceptical of whether or not I'd be able to get it done without a rack to get the car up on.