Taillights

87TurboTATL

My taillights work sometimes. They go on and off when I shake the wires. The only thing that I am not sure on is electrical wiring. Can someone send me some trouble shooting tricks? Does anyone make a replacement wiring kit?

Thanks

My taillights work sometimes. They go on and off when I shake the wires. The only thing that I am not sure on is electrical wiring. Can someone send me some trouble shooting tricks? Does anyone make a replacement wiring kit?

Thanks
First lets start with " What wires did you shake that went on & off? and where was this at?"

If you have no brake lights but the center brake light still works then read on

Remove the cover at the dash under the steering column. Look on the right lower side you see a long connector with a white wire on the end that is probably burned into or not connected at all. Repair this wire to the connector and this should restore your brake lights. Now as to what causes this Check all 4 brake light bulbs and make sure that they do NOT say heavy duty or start with the numbers 20. The normal wattage for the brake light is 10 watts if you change this bulb to a heavy duty it will draw 20 watts hence that would be twice the amps for the circuit and this heats that wire under the column and burns it into. A 20 watt bulb has nothing to do with how bright it is.

David Ellis
David Ellis Real Estate
Dallas TX
972-849-8880