Tail lights do not turn "On" when braking

SHWDWN

When I press down on the brake pedal with the lights turned "Off" my tail lights do not come "On". When my lights are "On" the tail lights appear to be very bright as if I was pressing down on the brake pedal. I have already replaced the all the tail light bulbs and the brake switch which is near the brake pedal. I just can not figure out why my tail lights will not turn "On when I press down on the brakes.

-Shwdwn

Hi,

Your tail lights are not supposed to come on when you press the brake.

When you press the brake pedal, only thr brake lights should come on. If they are not. I bet its the white switch above the brake pedal. Its adjustable.

Joe

Third Brake Light

Thanks for your quick response. The third barke light does come "On" when pressing the brake pedal. The third brake light does not come " On" when the lights are off. I attemtpted to adjust the white switch as you suggested but the breaklight did not come "On". Any suggestions? Now I am just trying to have the third break light come on when the lights are in the "Off" position.

Make sure you have double filament bulbs. Not sure the number I think they may be 1157. Also, if I remember correctly, if the bulb in in backwards it may not work properly either.

Joe

If you are not the original owner of the car, I would check to the wires under the dash going to the brake switch. You are "supposed" to hook your line loc up to your brake lights, some people do this but remove the line loc and do a cheap fix to the spliced wires. I had the exact same problem, and the other owner was nice enough to twist the wires together with his fingers and cover it with e-tape. Just to be sure, I would check under there........wouldn't hurt.