Tag Hauer or ????

Go to timezone.com and learn a little. You might have second thoughts about it.

Skip the Tag and get a classic swiss brand like Rolex or Omega. Better "sports" watch imho. Owned Tag, Rolex and Omega. Liked the Rolex and Omega best. They will also hold value better.

FWIW & IMHO:
I have worn Omegas all of my life and have never had any second thoughts.

Ooops forgot to toss this in. The only downside to a nice Swiss watch is having to have the mechanical movement serviced every couple of years. Just sent my Omega out and it cost $250 for the servicing. Kinda pricy for a $1200 watch... oh well!

not too sure about Tags from what I have heard from my friends who have had them and will not go back to them again. personally, I got tainted when I saw my dad buy his first Rolex, and I fell in love with them. my brother bought one (GMT with black/red bezel) and I finally bought myself one as well and can't get enough of it: Rolex Gold Presidential! :D don't have pics of my work HD, but can/will post if someone wants to see it. next in line, is an all gold submariner with the cobalt blue face/bezel ;)

you could spend a lot upfront, but it'll last you a lifetime and then some.

cheers...

P.S. Herb: nice choice on the yatchmaster.

I think its a waste of $$. Come on now.. If you ask me what time it is.. I will raise my wrist and on my $24 Timex tell you the time.. Thats the exact same thing that you are gonna do.. A $1500 watch does it no bettter. Unlike.. say a car.. where you *CAN* get better quality, ride, handling speed etc paying more. But a watch?? LMAO. If you spend more then $50 on a watch you are either..
A. a pompus a$$ who is trying to impress others.. or
B. Someone who has more money then brains.

give me ONE good reason to spend that kinda $$ on a watch?? Just one..

My thinking is if you can afford it, why not? that's the same as saying why would anyone want to put $10000 into a GN just so that you can get from point A to point B, when you can just as well accomplish the same in a $250 geo prism? are they being pompous and show-off'ish?
OR
why would anyone spend $150K-$250K to live in a house, when you can still have a roof over your head, and a dry place to live, eat and sleep in a trailer park home for wayyyyyyy cheaper? how dare people act so pompus and elitsists as to have anything more than a trailer park house! how arrogant! :) they really must be full of themselves!

Why, you ask? b/c people who can afford to, do, and if you can't, don't.

People might say to me "you're materialistic"...for me, materialism starts where your income stops! ;) hehe

you live once, so live it up....you can't take $$$ with you when you die.

Happy shopping ;)

BTW, I do own several Seiko watches (they're nice), a citizen (classy), and several $3.95 - $15.99 sportswatches from your local grocery stores...and I really like them! :)

go back and REAREAD what I wrote. A watch tells time.. does nothing else. NOTHING>
a car can perform wayyyyyy different from car to car as is a trailer wayyyyyyyy different then a 5000 sq ft house.. SOOOOOOOO if you buy a $25 Timex OR a $2500 tag then BOTH do the *EXACT* same thing.
A $12k trailer and a $1.2 million mansion do entirely different things. As does a Geo spectrum and a Ford GT. Do you follow what I mean??

I do understand what you mean 100%.

going by what you said, a watch tells time, no matter $5 or $5000 a a very basic function, let's look at the very basic function of:

a house:
to have a safe and secure shelter from the outside elements, with the ability to live, eat and sleep in it as it most basic functional element!
a $5000 trailer home and a $500000 house both fulfill this basic function...they difference being, HOW MUCH of a safe, secure, and luxury level of house you want from that point forward.

a car:
a transportation vehicle which helps one get from point A to point B as the most basic and elemental finction of a car.
a $250 geo prism (in running condition :) )and a $250K Lambo Murcielago both satisfy the most basic function of a car. past that, the simiiarities b/w the 2 probably come to an end. then it is a matter of personal preference how fast u want to go from A to B, and in what level of luxury, style, speed, reliability, comfort, aesthetic appeal, safety, ... and one will pay accordingly for their desires.

a watch:
basic function to tell time.
beyond that, you start paying for reliability, longevity of the watch (will it only last 6 months ($15 watch) or the lifetime of 3 generations in your family ($18000 watch)), added functions (stopwatch, date/calender, dual time zones, ...), quality (plastic/rubber vs. gold/platinum/stainless steel), aesthetic appeal (rubber vs. jewels), accuracy of the time (needs adjustment monthly, or one in your lifetime), ... and the more you want. the more you'll pay....

I hope this somewhat sheds light into how I think on the matter.

I am not trying in any way impose my opinon or anyone, just want to express it.

I don't have to buy batteries for my Rolex (DateJust) so it will pay for itself in a few thousand years.

Sometimes you have to buy things for the long haul :)

LOL. I have a Timex that is 35 years old and has to be wound. Never spend one cent on batteries:)

it still went over your head..

Let me put it this way.. A Turbo TA can do many things a Geo can't .. namely handle better, stop and accelerate faster.. A watch tells time.. THATS IT! nothing more nothing less.

BTW- still waiting for ONE reason to spend mucho bucks on a watch..

hehe...I am all about abstract thinking! :) this is fun :)

I have a citizen which is 19 y/o...my first watch and it runs and I love it! so I concur with you on that.

a $5 plastic analog watch will tell time. a $15000 rolex will tell you time, date, calender, moon/sun phase ...all while using top notch metals and gems (as bearings) and such... :)

FlyinGN:
Frank:
For such a young dude you are surely convicted to your beliefs.
I am on my way to trade in my Omega on a timex right now.
Just kidding, Frank.

A nice watch is worthwhile to me. I used to always buy cheap watches until I graduated college. Then my Mom bought me a Raymond Weil. It was nice having a nice watch. I used to think I would never spend more than a few $100 on a watch. But after having a nice watch, I changed my mind. I kept the Raymond Weil for 6 years then got a Omega Speedmaster. I have to say I do enjoy having a nice watch. All depends on what you want to spend your money on.

Didnt know there was so many Omega fans. I have a blue dial seamaster with silver bezel. I dont think anybody even knows what it is where I work. I drive an old civic, so people probably think its cheap. I dont care for jewelery much, so I figured this would be it. The chronometers sweep which is cool, but you will need a winder.
I believe a watch has to be within certain guidelines before it can be a chronometer, otherwise its just a automatic. Most tags if not all are quartz or autos.
Omegas are almost as good as a Rolex, but Rolex is what everythingelse is judged by, everyone knows it, and its good as cash anywhere in the world.
For accuracy and cost, you cant beat a $50 timex or casio.