ta33 vs turbonetics stage 3

bama-t-type

Need some info if anyone can help just got my turbo back today from esp products (for the second time) oh well sh_t happens i guess anyway bought this car about 9 mounths ago still trying to get it running should do so this weekend but i was wondering how do the ta33 and the turbonetics stage 3 compare as that is what i have and noticed that most everyone ran the ta33
also is there anyway to test and see if my knock gauge/sensor is working?

car has 50lb injectors,sperco fmic, razor alky kit running meth, headers, 2800 stall,lt1 maf, 87ecm, 340 hotwired, has a direct scan and labtop in it but it does not serem to work, all i can remember right now lol thanks

The TA33 is a direct bolt on turbo. I don't know anything about the turbonetics stage 3, but I imagine some fabrication work how have to be done before it bolt on.

As far as the knock sensor testing, I've heard that a long screw driver and a hammer can be used to test it. You'll need someone monitoring the knock gauge wil the other places the screw driver somewhere in the back of the engine and starts tapping on the top of the screwdriver with the hammer.

An idea of "how much it takes" to register KR;
Take a hammer, and “lightly” tap on the front of the intake manifold.
The knock sensor will register on the gauge ………. :eek:

Yes, my brand new GM knock sensor is installed to spec.:biggrin:

Also, what I found, is that "KR on PL" is very consistent with any lights on the Caspers gauge. :cool:

turbonetics stage 3

the turbo that is on my car is a turbobetics stage 3 .63ar upgrade turbo (stock size housing) but turbonetics housings t04b but that is all i know about it and was wondering if anyone had any idea what is was and how it compared to a ta33?

had to have it rebuilt twice but that is a diff topic. this time they had to replace the back plate and put a garret compressor wheel in it because turbonetics does not make the one that was in it anymore.

does anyone know of anybody that has ran a cold air intake with the hotair turbo set up ??? was thinking about doing that and leaving the throttle body on the turbo and just running ic pipe into intake seems like the newer intake would flow ALOT better than the hot air intake any imput would be great

I run a TR Custom parts "big mouth" cold air kit, upgrade to a TA33C over the winter, It sounded like a shop vacat an idle before but now the sound of it sucking air is almost unreal! I haven't had a chance to put it on the road yet, I am in Ohio and the snow is still on the ground, salt all over the road.

(cold air intake)

i was talking about using a 86/87 intake manifold and leaving the throttle body on the turbo and just running the ic pipe to front of the intake manifold and yes i do know that the back of the manifold would have to be modified so that the turbo would fit just wondering if anyone on here had done it BTW fyrlt67 what does your car run are have you had it on a dyno
just trying to see what this thing might do lol

It sounded like a shop vacat an idle before but now the sound of it sucking air is almost unreal!

I had to laugh at this one! That's pretty much describes it.

Sometimes I wonder if it's the sucking sound of air or money:eek:

A 86/87 intake does not have to be modified to fit on a hot air car,
except for drilling a hole for the oil drain. The upper plenum does
however, need to be modified to clear the turbo. HTH.

A shop vacat is kinda like a shop vac but it is modified for guys who fat finger the keyboard of their computer :)

was talking about using a 86/87 intake manifold and leaving the throttle body on the turbo and just running the ic pipe to front of the intake manifold and yes i do know that the back of the manifold would have to be modified so that the turbo would fit just wondering if anyone on here had done it BTW fyrlt67 what does your car run are have you had it on a dyno
just trying to see what this thing might do lol

We did this many years ago. It kinda looked like the photo from the link above, but we clocked the turbo to run a frontmounted intercooler. You have the obvious issue of getting an electric fan and running the temp switch to operate the fan. We saw a big improvement in torque and HP with this modification. We too left the T-body on the turbo since the '84-5 uses a larger T-body to start.

Hope this helps you,

that is what i want to do, when you clocked the turbo did you point it down and run the ic pipe around the side?

No. Stock is in the 6:00 position. We rotated it to the 10:00 position. We ran the intercooler tubing right up the middle (need to remove clutch fan) and used our ESP '86-7 FMIC. Obviously the tubing was custom fabricated.

Hope this helps you.

thanks john BTW the turbo seems to be fine this time dont know what happend the first time lol thanks for the help