T76 Turbo's, Rumors about Failure

V8turboGMC

I bought a T76 turbo from "Spooled" a guy here on the board. I Emailed a guy selling T76's on Ebay. He said that regular T76's fly apart, sounds like BS to me, but I cant say for sure because Im new on the turbo front. Has anyone head about this happening?
Some guy in Canada built this turbo, I measured the wheel and it measured 76mm on the inducer and 108mm on the outer. If someone could give me some answers that would be great.
Thanks,
Kyle~ :D

I had a 76 turbo come apart on the first pass at the track , the turbin wheel came apart , the turbo builder tested it for alumn. and bronze from the heads , none was found and he repaired it no charge , I did offer to pay.

He said there were a few of the Q-trim(exh) wheels that came apart

Where at in St. Louis do you live.
Ilive here in Granite City Illinois about 15 min from St Louis.

Rob

I have never heard that before.

Just why exactly do they say they fall apart?

What's a "regular" T76 btw?

I'll try to clear up anything you are hazy about though.

The AR is .96 oncenter with a P trim Wheel. I guess Ill give it a try. I payed 1275$ for it and a Turbonetics Racegate with the
9-13 lb. spring. If you guys want you can check out that guys stuff on Ebay just do a search for "T76". I have been emailing him back and forth, he seem pretty cool. He calles his Turbo "Back in Black"
Thanks,
Kyle~

Originally posted by Turbonetics
I have never heard that before.

Just why exactly do they say they fall apart?

What's a "regular" T76 btw?

I'll try to clear up anything you are hazy about though.

By regular T76 I meant the compressor wheel. The T76 wheel from turbonetics measures 76mm inner and 102mm outer, where mine is 76mm inner and 108mm outer.

The guy selling the ones on Ebay sells them for 1200$ brand new. Im not sure how he does it but one from PTE or Jon Craig is around 1600$ or so.

Originally posted by rob nolan
Where at in St. Louis do you live.
Ilive here in Granite City Illinois about 15 min from St Louis.

Rob

I live in St.Charles. It takes me about 45 min or so to get to Gateway Race Track. Do you have a shop or something? I Kinda want to have someone check it out before I run it. I was thinking someone close like Turboconnection in IL. or Turbo Center, thier off Gravois road, but the guy their didnt seem very much on the perfomance side, more like standard replacements. Like I said before This turbo was built by a guy in Canada. "spooled" the guy I bought it from is supposed to be getting me his number.
Anyway:rolleyes:
Thanks,
Kyle~

Originally posted by V8turboGMC
I live in St.Charles. It takes me about 45 min or so to get to Gateway Race Track. Do you have a shop or something? I Kinda want to have someone check it out before I run it. I was thinking someone close like Turboconnection in IL. or Turbo Center, thier off Gravois road, but the guy their didnt seem very much on the perfomance side, more like standard replacements. Like I said before This turbo was built by a guy in Canada. "spooled" the guy I bought it from is supposed to be getting me his number.
Anyway:rolleyes:
Thanks,
Kyle~
No i don't have a shop. But Jim at Turbo Connection will help you out. He is pretty good when it comes to something like that.

Good Luck
Rob

Because the guy on ebay is a joke. I e-mailed months ago before the stuff went on e-bay and looked around on his website. I asked about the GN specfic turbo they offered and he had no idea on the specs. And had no information of the specs or building a turbo to suit my needs. He runs around posting on all the meaasge boards trying to get someone to buy one of there turbos. The GN turbo they listed had a price on their website, can't remember what it was, but then he put this ad up http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=51645&highlight=super and took the price off the website here http://mjmturbos.com

I'd stay away, far away.

Doug

Originally posted by Doug Jacobson
Because the guy on ebay is a joke. I e-mailed months ago before the stuff went on e-bay and looked around on his website. I asked about the GN specfic turbo they offered and he had no idea on the specs. And had no information of the specs or building a turbo to suit my needs. He runs around posting on all the meaasge boards trying to get someone to buy one of there turbos. The GN turbo they listed had a price on their website, can't remember what it was, but then he put this ad up http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=51645&highlight=super and took the price off the website here http://mjmturbos.com

I'd stay away, far away.

Doug

Yea,
I was kinda wondering:confused: thanks for the reply. BTW does anyone know this guy in Canada that does turbos?

I got a Email back from the guy he had no compressor maps or anything. I asked him about his turbo and were it would clean up at (start to make clean boost, away from the surgeline) a normal T76 is about 1.4 pressure ratio and about 35 lbs or air a min. It seemed like he didnt have much to say about that. Im really glad the board is here so people are able to help me.
Thanks again guys!:D