T-Wheel vs. Tire size

WH1 85

I have an 85 T-Type with the factory aluminum "turbine wheels". Right now I have 255/60/R15 BFG Radial TA's on the rear.

Question is will I be able to stuff 275/60/R15 BFG Comp TA DR's in there. Or will I need a wheel with a different offset.

Ive got that size on mine no problems. They just touch the frame on a hard corner but dont cause any damage. spose a panhard rod would fix that. but im not in any hurry for one of them.:)

Before the GTA rims that I have now, I had the stock Ttype rims on my car with 255s on the back and 235s on the front (BFGs). Did some research with a friend of mine that has been in the wheel and tire business forever (seems that way anyway). That was the biggest size that was recommended for those wheels. I wanted 265s like my brother had (he had different wheels).
The 84-85 Ttype wheels are very small in width, they are 15 x 6 if I remember right. I think these are the only TR wheels that are that slender, the GN wheels and 86-87 GN and Ttype wheels are 8" width (7" at the least). I thought it was a joke when I was shown the width.
With the 255s on the 15x6s it was a little too tall I think, like having 28" slicks (didnt help my 60 foots). I cant see an even wider tire on that wheel, I would think that it would be ballooning out the sides and not look right, and definately not be safe.
Just my 2 cents.

no they are 7" wheels. Not a flame on your friend but, you ever been to the parts store and think the guy behind the counter is an idiot? Its because of the info he read that is printed in books. Just because it is printed does not mean its true. :)

I guess I didnt explain myself correctly. The info that we looked up told the recomended tire size for the wheel from BFG. 255 was the biggest recomended on a 15x6, and there are reasons for that.
All other info we obtained was from hands on. I was concerned with keeping the stock look at the time and wanted as wide a tire as I could get in the wheel well. I automatically was thinking that a performance vehicle like this had to have 15x8s on it, so when we measured the wheel I was shocked! MY wheels were 15x6. I was kind of mad after that, I had to check it twice.
As far as the 28" tire thing, that was just a guess. My brothers always messed with me about how high the 255s sat. My wheels just werent wide enough to stretch the tires out. Instead it just stood up tall.
This is just my experience with the issue and I would not share any info that I didnt experience hands on. (I know how those guys behind the counters are and the info they swear by, and the fact that alot of them really are idiots!)

I just went out in the garage and measured the wheel it is 7"inside bead to inside bead actually it was 6 7/8" but 7" the standard 84 T-Type wheel w/ the t on the center tin piece. right?