T-Type Wheels

MCH86GN

I have a grand national, but for taking it to the track I have a set of T-Type rims I want to throw on it. Losing a little weight there. The rims themselves are not too clean and I was wondering what would be the best way to clean them. Is there a solution out there for cleaning? Ideally I would like to clean them, polish up the ridges and clear coat. Trying not to spend too much on the clean them up. Anyone have any suggestions? I found a shop in the area where I live, but they want $100 a rim to clean up. I found a set already cleaned and nice for $300. I wonder if I should just save myself the time and money and buy the cleaned and clear coated ones?

I've just been through this.

Before you start, be aware that the N89 alloys are factory coated and you will need to remove that coating in its entirety in order to achieve a satisfactory result.

You can:

1. Strip the coating (Klean-Strip EAR322).
2. Spray on an etching wheel cleaner (Eagle One 665804) or dip the entire wheel in a stripping solution (Streak Master Aluminum Brightener). You will need suitable gloves and eye protection and if you dip the entire wheel a good sized (22-1/8" D X 16=1/2" H) rope handle tub. Be careful not to overdo this step as if the wheel is made porous you're pretty much screwed.
3. Hand sand the machined surfaces with progressively finer grits of sandpaper, starting with a grit aggressive enough to remove the worst scratches and finishing with perhaps 2000 or even 2500 grit.
4. Lastly, have someone (hopefully local to you and of high quality) powercoat the wheel.

The above is a messy, labor intensive, giant PITA, as well as a chemical nightmare. Figure on about $100-$200 plus the cost of powercoating. Of course, none of the above is useful if the wheel is bent or otherwise damaged.

Alternatively, you can ship your wheels to Detroit Vintage Wheel and they will restore them to show quality. Figure on about $800 including shipping to and from.

This is the dilemma with unrestored N89s and why so many of them are for sale so cheaply.

I've just been through this.

Before you start, be aware that the N89 alloys are factory coated and you will need to remove that coating in its entirety in order to achieve a satisfactory result.

You can:

1. Strip the coating (Klean-Strip EAR322).
2. Spray on an etching wheel cleaner (Eagle One 665804) or dip the entire wheel in a stripping solution (Streak Master Aluminum Brightener). You will need suitable gloves and eye protection and if you dip the entire wheel a good sized (22-1/8" D X 16=1/2" H) rope handle tub. Be careful not to overdo this step as if the wheel is made porous you're pretty much screwed.
3. Hand sand the machined surfaces with progressively finer grits of sandpaper, starting with a grit aggressive enough to remove the worst scratches and finishing with perhaps 2000 or even 2500 grit.
4. Lastly, have someone (hopefully local to you and of high quality) powercoat the wheel.

The above is a messy, labor intensive, giant PITA, as well as a chemical nightmare. Figure on about $100-$200 plus the cost of powercoating. Of course, none of the above is useful if the wheel is bent or otherwise damaged.

Alternatively, you can ship your wheels to Detroit Vintage Wheel and they will restore them to show quality. Figure on about $800 including shipping to and from.

This is the dilemma with unrestored N89s and why so many of them are for sale so cheaply.

Looks like I'll be sticking to the soap & water method lol

BRAKE CLEANER works very well. especially if you are going to repaint them as the cleaner can sometimes dulls the paint, but it will get all the dirt a grime off so you cant paint em nice!

edit-I havent used this method on those rims specifically, but have used it on other rims and random pieces of cars that i was going to paint in the past and it works for me, idk about show quality though

I have a grand national, but for taking it to the track I have a set of T-Type rims I want to throw on it. Losing a little weight there. The rims themselves are not too clean and I was wondering what would be the best way to clean them. Is there a solution out there for cleaning? Ideally I would like to clean them, polish up the ridges and clear coat. Trying not to spend too much on the clean them up. Anyone have any suggestions? I found a shop in the area where I live, but they want $100 a rim to clean up. I found a set already cleaned and nice for $300. I wonder if I should just save myself the time and money and buy the cleaned and clear coated ones?

For another $200+ .... I think Detroit Vintage Wheel will accept walkin traffic. so most likely for Detroit/local the price for your set of nice refinished T wheels would be $500 + sales tax & the cost of gas to see Scott twice. He's on Facebook - Give him a call - say Hi for me.
Bob

Yes, since you live in Detroit and don't have to suffer the shipping costs, by all means take your wheels to DVW. You'll end up with better than OEM wheels, which will have greater value to you, as well as to potential buyers should you choose to sell them in the future. You can also play around with a different color powdercoat if you're so inclined, although potential buyers might frown on alien green, for example. Make mine clear.

If you do go the DVW route, for God's sake find someone who can mount your tires, including pulling in tire valves and attaching wheel weights, without messing up your wheels. Adhesive wheel weights may be your best choice to prevent damage to the wheel edges. And you may want to install your wheels/tires yourself using hand tools, including a good torque wrench, rather than an impact wrench. Lastly, drag racing can expose wheels to unnecessary abuse if you're not cautious. I'd hate to see you have an oops with those beautiful, beautiful DVW wheels.

Very good luck and let us know what you decide!

For another $200+ .... I think Detroit Vintage Wheel will accept walkin traffic. so most likely for Detroit/local the price for your set of nice refinished T wheels would be $500 + sales tax & the cost of gas to see Scott twice. He's on Facebook - Give him a call - say Hi for me.
Bob

Yes, I have talked them already and they were the ones who gave me the quote for $400 and they do accept walk-ins. I live about 30 miles away and work about 20 miles away. So I may just take them there. I could've bought a set for $300, that were already reconditioned, but the guy sold them. Bummer. They weren't powder coated, but rather cleaned and clear coated.

T wheels looking good!!

toothbrush and a bottle of eagle 1 MAG cleaner. Take them to the car wash first and hose the crap out of them with soap and water.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/show-car-restoration-body-repair/245736-my-progress-thread-10.html

THe pics of the car outside are after I cleaned the wheels. Night and day difference. Well worth the work.

X2 on being worth it. Anything you can do yourself is a big plus. The car is great too - definitely cool to see the before - during - and after pics.

Bob

X2 on being worth it. Anything you can do yourself is a big plus. The car is great too - definitely cool to see the before - during - and after pics.

Bob

I can't wait to start assembling everything. I'm a little low on cash right now but I do have new carpet coming. n o s 4 g n has it for 203 shipped with the backing. Can't beat that. I probably won't get to doing a windshield and other odds and ends til spring but all the work was worth it. It's no show car by all means, but I never intended for it to be since I plan on driving it. There are flaws. I'm gonna try my best to make it to the midwest meet next summer if it isn't too far out. It does look sweet all one color finally and the hours we spend aligning panels, working A LOT of dents, filling, sanding, it was all worth it. The body lines look awesome.

To me it wouldn't be worth it to spend $100s of dollars to clean these or have them powdercoated seeing that they are track-use-only wheels.

I just cleaned my wheels up with some advice from a few others on here using the eagle 1 mag cleaner and a wire brush. They look amazing!!! I would try this and a jar of mothers mag polish for the spokes and lips and be down $15 or so and some time.

Pic is before polishing

Attachments

• BUICKWHEEL.jpg
    BUICKWHEEL.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 119
Why did I bother? LOL!!!

Thanks for the advice. I just read your post. I originally had Weld's and I got rid of them because they were easily scratched and if I going to be swapping these guys on and off maybe I should just try and clean them myself and not make the investment. Because they will eventually get scratched and marked up I'm sure.