T-type wheel restoration

ejh

I have the original wheels in very good condition, no damage, just dull. I want to clear coat them, but would like to brighten them up first. DIY suggestions? Or can anyone suggest a vendor in NJ area?
thanks, Ed

Do a search for "T Wheel Refinishing" in the title and you'll find what you're looking for. ;)

Wow! Those came out nice. I have a set of mint powdercoated wheels on my tan Limited. But I also have another set I've been looking at getting refinished for originality. It may be worth my time to send them to Jim. Plus I can get more pics of that Tan T-Type on his site. :woot:

I saw a set like above at Kirban's Open House and brand new OEM wheels couldn't touch those. I think 87 WE2 (works or did work for Jim Dunn) did them or had them on his car. Either way, the finest looking T Type wheel you will ever see.

Last edited:
I have a mint set of T-type rims that have been glass beaded. Would just need the final prep and clear coated, or you can use them as is. They came out great. PM me if your interested.

I will see if I can post some before and after pictures of mine which were very dull when I bought the car. I used muriatic acid in a spray bottle and a toothbrush. If you decide to try it just ensure you do it outside, have a garden hose handy because you shouldn't leave it on for more than a couple minutes, and protect yourself from the over spray and fumes. It removes the oxidation and restores the original look. Not all muriatic acid solutions are equal though so try it on the backside of the rim first if you decide on this method. Not the solution for everyone I realize but works well for me

Wheels America
777 West Providence Rd
Lansdowne, PA 19050
610-586-4590

I will see if I can post some before and after pictures of mine which were very dull when I bought the car. I used muriatic acid in a spray bottle and a toothbrush. If you decide to try it just ensure you do it outside, have a garden hose handy because you shouldn't leave it on for more than a couple minutes, and protect yourself from the over spray and fumes. It removes the oxidation and restores the original look. Not all muriatic acid solutions are equal though so try it on the backside of the rim first if you decide on this method. Not the solution for everyone I realize but works well for me
Be interested to see the results. With new tires I'm looking at over $1000 if I go the machine shop route. And since my wheels have no damage it might be overkill for me right now. I have a nice set of Black GTA rims on the car now, just looking to get back to the stock look. Thanks

Wow! Those came out nice. I have a set of mint powdercoated wheels on my tan Limited. But I also have another set I've been looking at getting refinished for originality. It may be worth my time to send them to Jim. Plus I can get more pics of that Tan T-Type on his site. :woot:

Which Tan T?
The 86 on our site we restored and sold
http://s229.photobucket.com/user/turbo231/library/T-Type?sort=3&page=1

The 87 I have now
http://s229.photobucket.com/user/turbo231/library/Turbo T?sort=3&page=1

Last edited:
I saw a set like above at Kirban's Open House and brand new OEM wheels couldn't touch those. I think 87 WE2 (works or did work for Jim Dunn) did them or had them on his car. Either way, the finest looking T Type wheel you will ever see.

Correct I work for Jim. The wheels on the 86 I restored myself, the wheels on the 87 we had done at Wheels America. Check out the links above for pics of the wheels.

Last edited:

Wow! Both stellar cars! I really appreciate the engine bay on yours. And that 86 with climate control. :notworthy: How long ago did you guys sell that one?

I talked to Jim at length on the phone last week. Super nice guy, and I'd send him a pile of business if he wasn't on the other side of the continent. He has a set of these wheels finished and ready to ship. Call him for details.

Wow! Both stellar cars! I really appreciate the engine bay on yours. And that 86 with climate control. :notworthy: How long ago did you guys sell that one?

I talked to Jim at length on the phone last week. Super nice guy, and I'd send him a pile of business if he wasn't on the other side of the continent. He has a set of these wheels finished and ready to ship. Call him for details.

Fall of 2005 I believe, it was a weirdly optioned car. Climate control, power everything including 60/40 power split bench, no cruise (I added it when I did the restoration)