t type lightweight aluminum wheels

AWCGroup

here are some pics of my wheel restoration.
20150417_172203.jpg
20150420_155047.jpg
20150421_175041.jpg
20150421_175050.jpg

i dont know. my friend owns a CNC lathe and he did it for me. i still need to find out what he is going to hit me with.

they are powdercoated clear on top of the work to keep them looking like that. its a process the OEMs are using today.

Nice tire choice. That's a setup I'd consider if I was going DR's in the back. (y)

Thx. I saw your wheels. They look great too. I went for a modern machined finish. After dipping the wheels in acid, I noticed they were machined like that originally but the grooves were filled in with galvanic corrosion. So I primed and painted hypersilver and skimmed them with the lathe afterwards. Then I powder coated them clear to keep them like new.

I'll open another thread for the bodywork once I get to that. Maybe a few weeks. I'll post on FB too. Check it out. AW Collision of Monrovia

After dipping the wheels in acid, I noticed they were machined like that originally but the grooves were filled in with galvanic corrosion. So I primed and painted hypersilver and skimmed them with the lathe afterwards. Then I powder coated them clear to keep them like new.

Did you use muriatic acid? If so, do you recall the strength of the acid and how long you left it on? I didn't really feel a need to use acid, but it would be good for future reference. I didn't do anything with the as cast portion of my wheels. I found that getting the as cast portions clean was the key to making the wheels look good. The powder coat will definitely be more durable than clearing them.

Yes. Muriatic acid. Used industrial grade. I painted the whole wheel inside and out with hypersilver then machined them for that look.

Here is what I started with. I ended up with 7 wheels. I picked the straightest ones to minimize the lathe from eating uneeded material.

Attachments

• 1429825716140.jpg
    1429825716140.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 192
Wow. Those are way crustier than any of my sets. Was the hypersilver paint lighter or darker than the as cast portions after cleaning? If I understand you correctly, you left the acid on for a couple of days, painted the entire wheel, powder coated the entire wheel, and then machined the lips and fins? Did you put anything over the machined portions afterwards? Thanks for the info.

EDIT - I see you mentioned you machined them before powder coating them. The second picture in your original post looks like you PC'd them before machining.

Last edited: