T-Top Car Twisted????? please help!!!!!!

National Newb

from one side of the car to the other, the distance between the t-top and the rear roof changes by 1/4" while the t-tops sit flush to front windshield/roof.... Measuring from the front pillar to the rear door jamb on both sides also show 1/4" difference..with the larger side being the drivers side.

There are no cracks around the rear windshield, but the car was repainted a few years ago... there are no noticeable waves in the sail panels...BUT i did have to reseal the windshield because of a leak on the front drivers side as well.

I was going to restore this car but now am thinking twice about it... car is mint otherwise....

I did not notice it when i recently bought the car, and I have recently installed the trunk braces, gnx bushings, added the missing body bushings, and front frame and fender braces.... The bracing made the car stiffen up, but now I see this....

Is this normal for t-top cars....:confused: anyone else have this issue????

If so what can be done???

AGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

The gaps on my T-Top GN are off also...but not like yours...the pass side sits nice...gaps are even between front/rear of glass...but drivers side glass has a bigger gap in the rear...I bought this car new in 87 so that's the way it came from the factory...that was quality control 20 years ago...:rolleyes:

Those are some huge gaps. Sounds like the car was hit hard. I would check the frame to see if it's been pulled. I remember way back around 1990, a friend of mine was racing his t-top 87 Turbo T at LVD. After a 15psi launch, he came back into the pits, got out of the car, closed the door and it was off buy at least 1inch so the door wouldn't close!!:eek: He had to wait about 15 minutes for the car to 'settle' before he closed the door. True story, and I probably wouldn't believe it myself if I didn't see it. Guess that's why i've always been a lil shy of the t-top cars. That and the rust issues a lot of guys are finding now when they go to change out the seals. Not quite sure what can be done to fix it. I wish you luck.

Ken B.

had a t-top camaro. Yeah they're fun on a hot summer night and the chicks dig it, then you get caught ina storm and hope the girls are wearing a white t-shirt;) . In my opinion, if your gonna get a ttop car, just as well get a convertible. Speaking of, I know where there's a true drop top regal sittin, too bad they look ugly otherwise I would buy it and put my turbo stuff in it:cool:

twistin and a turnin

my hard top is twisted and cracked bad:(
i have all the braces and bushings and it still moves.
i installed welded in frame braces and it stopped cracking but i still moves alittle
I have a steep driveway and if my window is down a little and i dont hit the drive at the right angle i can see the flex between the window and the A piller.:mad:

I have a ttop that has no cracks but its stock and has all the braces.
i won't launch my ttop hard or put a bigger turbo onit.

If I were that concerned about it I would ask around and find a reputable shop with a frame rack and have the measurements checked out. It shouldn't be a big deal and might cost a hundred or two. If there was a problem I'd have the frame straightened and maybe some subframe connectors put in.

thanks all!! just sad to see..... I thought these are full framed cars... where do you weld in the frame braces???? you just box in the center frame section????

Thanks again all!!!

Maybe you should sell it or trade it for a hard top or moon roof car.
I would never ever buy a T top car with a powerful engine,(ok for a stock Monte SS or Olds 442 not a GN) there are some guys that love em and defend them to the death, so at least you'll have a buyer :biggrin:
Seriously GM knew only to build hardtop GNX's because of that twisting effect.
I had a guy tell me he launched with a friend in the passenger seat and the friend was able to see daylight for a second when the car dug in.:eek:

I have a moon roof GN and sorta wish I had a hard top lot less trouble.....

Boxing

Here is what was done on mine. This was not the end, just the start.
Evaddave

Attachments

• 100_2151.JPG
    100_2151.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 272
i would imagine that if the windshield was not installed carefully the t top gaps could be off considerably.

T-top

You will need to weld a cross brace to the frame. I seen a factory convertible 1957 Chevy have this. The frame was very solid, no flex. My T-top GN flexed a little and the doors gaps where off some. T-Top TRs are cool with the tops out though.