Synthetic oil or Regular for Turbos?

gidyuppp

Sorry if this has been asked before but I cant seem to find any threads (may not be doing it right). What is the general thoughts on oil. Getting my first oil change since owning the car. I have only put 70 miles on the car myself and need to get the oil changed before putting it away for the winter. Car has been sitting for 4 months getting total restoration and I am used to cars using synthetic oil but want to be sure with a Turbo set up that I take care of the GN correctly. Thanks for the help.

It is an endless debate. Most use synthetic, a lot swear by Dino oil. Some change their oil at 2000 or less, some as soon as it is not honey colored anymore. I have been driving my GN for 24 years and 140k on an unopened motor, using Mobil 1 Synthetic, changed once a year about 5 to 6k a year. Bottom line is you can use almost anything as long as you don't neglect it.

I break in on dino oil after that royal purple everything. Can notice an increase in turbo spool for the first 5-600 miles.

Zddp

is your friend. there are several threads on this if you use the search feature.

Valvoline racing oil (Street version) has all the zinc and ZDDP built in, I use it in all my flat tappet cam cars.

Mobil 1 15-50 synthetic has enough ZDDP in it as well.

I use that in one car (DBB turbo), and valvoline dino. as noted above in the other.

my car cooks regular oil and makes it turn black after a couple of hundred miles.
the only exceptions in regualr oil are the "diesel" oils like Rotella.
synthetic oils all look beautiful after several thousand miles.

It is an endless debate.............
Enough said.

As far as I am aware, the "only" scientific data produced on oil related questions is by Mr. Clark.
I am sure a search will provide MANY threads, but, as the oils change, so does the advice.

10W-30...its not like we drive a dam space craft....:rolleyes:....I have used NAPA oil, which is valvoline for 6 years and my car has loved every bit of it...:), most modern oils like NAPA..Mobil 1...Castrol are all good, there is no mystery to motor oil

It is an endless debate. Most use synthetic, a lot swear by Dino oil. Some change their oil at 2000 or less, some as soon as it is not honey colored anymore. I have been driving my GN for 24 years and 140k on an unopened motor, using Mobil 1 Synthetic, changed once a year about 5 to 6k a year. Bottom line is you can use almost anything as long as you don't neglect it.

hello peoples; I have been doing the same thing with my van with good success and in the spring I plan to do it with the TB. What weight have you been using? When I see the Mobil one on sale I get it.
IBBY