Syn Oil info., from a GM Eng

Originally posted by Rage
Someone actually said "that's why you need a good filter, like Fram"

Spending a day at a Fram Oil Filter Plant, can be enightening.

While Fram has taken a turn for how they do things, it's amazing how many brands of filters they manufacture. While some talk about how much paper a filter has, there's alot to what that paper actually does. While partical retention is important, it's ability to wick acids, and other chemicals does matter.

While I've switched to WIX, and haven't suffered any filter related problems, I'd run Frams for decades, also without failure.

In trying to understand GM's way of doing ecms/ pcms, I can see where doing just enough, can be very successful, in manufacturing. The problem is what anyone manufacturer calls *just enough*. Does having X number of more folds really matter?.

Let me say that I am in fact a believer in synthetics oils.
After reading this article, I am in fact a bit confused :confused:

So, according to this article you should be able to break in a new motor on synthetics?

Anyone know how an oil life monitor works?

I have read that the oil life monitors actually "count" the RPM's. That is why in my Impala the "oil change" light will not come at exactly 3.000 miles. It will vary each time. It usually comes on between 2500-4000 miles. However, I usually just change it between 2500 and 3000.

I also heard that on the new cars is monitors the oil temp too?