syclone with a miss? heed help!

morgan

ok I guess I will start with the known upgrades on the truck.. it basically has a full ATR kit on it so pittbull chip, turbo, 3 "down pipe (straight piped), 7th injector, intake with cone filter, intercooler pump with second cooler and a built trans. and so here's what is going on, when the truck is cold it runs lie a scalded dog but when it gets warm or close to OT with a 160 t-stat it starts to break up over about 10 psi of boost and if you keep it hammered it will cough and spit and hardly accelerate it almost sounds like a jake brake on a semi truck. and at idle when it is hot it will puff about once every second. I have been fighting this for 2 years and any help would be appreciated greatly!

first questions are....

What plugs are you running (brand/number)?

What are they gapped at?

How old are the wires?

What brand are they?

When is the last time the cap/rotor was replaced?

Have you checked fuel pressure @ the rail? Base fuel pressure should be checked with the vacuum line off of the FPR and the line plugged.

Lets start with that and go from there.

Delco plugs not sure on the gap. Brand new msd wires new cap,rotor plugs are new as well I have had a fellow Syclone e friend check the fuel pressure at the rail and he said it was fine but I'm not sure if he pulled a vacuum line or not though. The truck used to run 11.20's all day long and now my stock typhoon will make it look stupid. And I did the plugs and all that after the problems started and it did not improve At all

Have you done a compression test? Sounds like you may have pushed a head gasket

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Maybe I could try and take some video driving it and at idle so you can see what is actually going on I'm gonna work on that.

It still breaks up with pump or race gas high or low boost. I have an AFE wide band but nothing to monitor knock or timing. Tried to take a few short videos just with my phone driving around if that would help maybe I could e- mail or txt them to somebody.

I had a similar issue. It was my msd coil breaking down. I didn't find it till the coil just stopped firing.

it still has the stock coil in it... and also if I try to launch it when it is hot it wont build more than 2-3 psi. and sounds terrible

These trucks are very sensitive and eat ignition components easy which is why NJty180 asked what model plugs, gap etc... It's not uncommon to have a well build syty run slower then stock due do to a poor ignition system or tune.

I'd pickup some Ngk ur5 or ur6 plugs, gap to factory and ohm out the plug wires.

Post your location as well maybe your close to a fellow owner who can data log your truck before you blow it up.

the plugs are ac delco cr42ts new msd wires/6al box also new cap and rotor the only thing on the ignition I have not changed is the coil.. I am in the salt lake city area if anybody lives close by. and I have taken a few short videos of it cold at idle and driving and also warmed up at idle and driving if somebody wants to give it a listen. maybe it will help to hear what is actually happening. thanks to everybody so far for there input.

also I just bought an ultimate chip for the typhoon and have a few questions about it if anybody has some first had experience with them.

Are you on syty.net.. ask there if someone's local to scan/data log your truck for a 12 pack or something because these trucks don't pop head gaskets. they melt pistons etc so you have to stay on top of the tune and if it's missing or cutting out you need to see what's going on with it before pushing it hard. Just search on syty.net and you'll find endless knowledge to read through that'll save you allot of time and money.

I had a similar problem. Turned out to be a hardly detectable leak at the MAP sensor. Ran rich pre-boost, lean when in boost.

Don't know if this has been resolved but a very common problem these trucks have is that the harmonic balancer will spin out of alignment. I'd check your base timing and if you have to reset it it, don't forget to disconnect the wire by the ECM inside the cab to achieve this.
Hope that helps.

Morgan,
I would look for a crack in the pre turbo exhaust system. If no crack look for a leak in the intake system (sucked intake gasket or loose intake). If the coil or base timing is not the problem.
Bob