Switching to Vac brakes

GetOwnedVette

I thought the hard part was over getting the initial bolt off until I ran into this press on lock w/e the hell it is. My arms are tired from being crammed in here and I'm about to shoot this thing off with a .45 hollow point. Lol but honestly I've never seen this on one....it's holding down a bracket for the main fuse box wire harness. Sigh....I must say easy job but not a very spacious or nice area to work with....feel like a sardine in here!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 137
You think having no room is bad in that....try working on a vintage Vette......I about broke my back trying to squeeze in/under/around/over/through/behind the damn dashboard putting in new a/c vent balls......

I swear, I truly think my beloved wife, Shirley, has been sneaking out in the garage at night when I'm asleep and pouring water over the Vette, shrinking it..........it was NEVER that damn small when I got it 31 years ago! Seems to be getting smaller every year....I'll have to put up video surveillance to see if she's really doing this.

Even my Grand National seems to be shrinking......Could Shirley be pouring water over that, too?:eek:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Removing that damn clip is frustrating, but I take a pry bar and bend it out on one side, then use a wire cutter to pull/cut it out.

If you remove the entire seat, doing the pedal exchange and other stuff under the dash is easier if a smaller person is not available? :)

I did in fact finally take the seat out....much better. I however couldn't fit a snips of any kind on the edge of the clip....was simply pressed as tight as it could get....no wiggle room even :,( ....After 40 minutes brushing up on every swear in the book and prying the clips back with a dental tool and a super thin, now junk punch she finally got yanked off.

:D I shall finish the rest tomorrow

After careful consideration I decided to remove the driver side front seat. This undoubtedly saved me a trip to the chiropractor. I went to grab a deep 15mm socket and look who took over the job!!
Sophie.JPG

Now don’t get me wrong, Sophie is a smart dog, but her mechanical skills are limited. I tried to coax her out of my spot, but she would have none of it! When I pressed the issue, she promptly moved to the back seat, laid down, and supervised until I finished the job. Under her watchful eye, I completed the task and now have the rare Bamboo Cream Turbo Regal stopping on a dime again.

Shes a cute dog!! I always get a kick outta my dog wanting to be outside by her "Daddy" while he works on the car or van. Gives me somebody to bitch too:D

Just did this today. I just pried that gay-ass clip up on one edge with a screwdriver and worked it off with a needle-nose.
I considered removing the seat, then decided against it out of sheer laziness. I now regret that decision, as do my back and abs.
BTW make sure nothing gets pinched between the booster and the firewall before tightening down those four bolts under the dash. I just learned that the hard way as well.

I actually addressed this in my brief write up of the process, was by far and away the worst part of the job. I used a screwdriver, pried it up a bit and like Tommy I used needle noise and ripped the mother out like a bad tooth.

Ingenious way to lock something down on threaded shaft, once.

I used a nut in it's place upon installation.

I must say I really like my vacuum brakes.

Joel

After careful consideration I decided to remove the driver side front seat. This undoubtedly saved me a trip to the chiropractor. I went to grab a deep 15mm socket and look who took over the job!!
View attachment 190013
Now don’t get me wrong, Sophie is a smart dog, but her mechanical skills are limited. I tried to coax her out of my spot, but she would have none of it! When I pressed the issue, she promptly moved to the back seat, laid down, and supervised until I finished the job. Under her watchful eye, I completed the task and now have the rare Bamboo Cream Turbo Regal stopping on a dime again.
What a great looking dog. They really are amazing animals and such important parts of our lives.
Every time I get home not matter how late, my dog does the "teeth" dance. She shows her fangs, tail flying around and jumping like a jumping bean. I need to get it on tape some day, cracks me up every time.
You will really like your new brakes.

For me, the worst part hands down was dealing with the fulcrum point on the the brake pedal, on removal and then even more so on installation as you have to line it up exactly right within that bracket before putting the bolt through it. Not easy given the location, space constraints, and lack of light. I didn't think I would make it through that part. Every time my wrenches slipped off or I got scraped by a clip or whatever I wanted to punch a kitten. The four bolts holding the booster in place were a breeze by comparison.

BTW I read an article in GM High Tech where the editor did the swap on his T and installed a vacuum pump to ensure that there is always enough. Has anyone here done that?

i have not and i have had no issues

has anyone had an issue?

with godd check valve i would think it would take prolonged boost with multiple brakings to be an issue

maybe problem at dragstrip?

joel

Why did GM come up with the Powerdisaster in the first place? The TTA seems to have done just fine with vacuum.

BTW I read an article in GM High Tech where the editor did the swap on his T and installed a vacuum pump to ensure that there is always enough. Has anyone here done that?

There have been a few cars my old man has owned that simply didnt produce enough vac at a fast enough pace for them. He had a sc'ed impala with a big cam that needed a canister for help and a pump for the canister. Brakes were horrible without it. :(