Switch pitch transmission

67 caprice

I found a company that can convert my 1967 turbo 400 transmission to a switch pitch transmission. This is so you can have a high stall, say 3000 RPM for take offs. And a low stall for cruising, say 1100 RPM. You can control the stall by a switch. I was told that 700 HP and 800 ft lbs of torque have been used with this system and they have had great results. I thought that this would be a way to have your cake and eat it too. The conversion kit cost is $249.00 for pump, input shaft solenoid and switch. The converter cost is $359.00. Is this a fare price?

You might want to check with Kenne-Bell in CA regarding the V8 old switch pitch T400 stuff.

you can get the same thing here for 179.00 conversion kit and convertor 249.00.we draw the line at 675 horsepower as there are mechanical limitations on the convertor and no one is making special internals for them as of now.kenne belle has discontinued any switch pitch items as far as i know because we supplied him with the convertor parts.see url below,were making most of the interesting 400 stuff out there,check out url below and the december issue of gears magazine new products section.

Be careful where you buy your S-P converters from. THere are some builders out there that cheap out on construction. Look for furnace brazed fins and not mig-welded for example.

Also beware of outrageous stall-speeds in high stall, the pump is modified along with the stator and they don't work efficiently in high-stall.

very good point .there is a guy claiming 3500 stall on his and he doesnt warn you about fuel consumption in high stall or the huge loss of efficiency in low stall