Swapping Valve Bodies?

peterkin

..it isn't rocket science
I have a TH200-4R that is in my GN that slipped under power (I don't know how it got like that..:sneaky:), and I have a TH200-4R that's currently in my Turbo T that's shifting out of the norm. I would like to take the VB and Governor out of the hurt transmission, clean it up, and install it in the Turbo T. I know that VB and governor combination still shifted great before I parked the car, as long as I didn't apply too much power. The engine is out of the GN so I can pull the transmission out easy enough and put it on a bench to get the VB and governor. My concern is the swap from the bench to under the car. If I pull the VB out of the Turbo T with the transmission still in the car:

1. Can I reuse the separator plate from the transmission that came out of the GN with the gaskets from the VB that was in the Turbo T? How would I do that dance?

2. Do I just duplicate the locations of the checkballs from the GN transmission under the car on the transmission in the Turbo T?

3. Am I missing/forgetting anything?

Not an expert but I would
1 Keep valve body , separator plate and checkballs together. Put them in the T as they were in the GN.
2 Use new gaskets and torque to spec.

Get you a tub of petroleum jelly(or trans goo, trans assembly lube) this will be for holding the check balls in place by defying gravity.

Inspect the plate for mushroomed check ball holes, I cleaned mine up but it would probably be best to get a new one. gm 8675309

Swap only the valvebody , get new spacer plate gaskets. You won't find anything out of the norm with then checkballs as they are all in stock locations. The plate is new "X" plate and correct for the calibration. Or just wait till we do the bushings and we will swap it then.

Thanks for the replies gents. I got the car in the air, but got side tracked by the spousal unit. I'll probably head back out tonight and get the transmission out of the GN. I'll get the VB out of that transmission and inspect/clean it. I'm really interested in figuring this out, so I may take it further than that tonight if I can.