Swapping a Carbed turbo 6

techg8

Hi guys

I am Ken G and I am in the process of getting a carbed turbo 6 running.

The engine is a Buick 225 from 1967 that has a 1978 intake, turbo and manifolds. The Qjet is a 1980 turbo unit.

I am sure to have some questions along the way so I thought I would introduce myself and show some pics.

I am currently at the point where I need to look at the turbine/wastegate/compressor/plenum so any advice on an overhaul or what to look for will be appreciated.

Thanks
turbo.JPG
buttoned up.JPG

The biggest issue I remember from the odd fire engines is that the rocker pedestal can break really easily. If the turbo's in good shape you can get new parts from Gpop shop and then look in the general section at the how to posts. There's a good thread that tells you how to overhaul the turbo yourself if you have the parts.

The biggest issue I remember from the odd fire engines is that the rocker pedestal can break really easily. If the turbo's in good shape you can get new parts from Gpop shop and then look in the general section at the how to posts. There's a good thread that tells you how to overhaul the turbo yourself if you have the parts.

Thanks!
I forgot to mention that the engine has early 3.8 heads on it and pushrod oiling. The pedestal oiling passages were plugged in the block.

Thanks for the tip on the Gpop shop. added that to my favorites list. What is a good source for gaskets? manifold-turbo etc..?

I did check out my wastegate today and found it functionsl. cleaned up the threads and bench adjusted it to open at 5psi for a startup setting.

If you've plugged the block oiling provision for the heads you might see if you can find a set of 75-76 heads for it. There's some differences between the very early and later oddfire engines but I don't remember what they are exactly. You might go over to GNTtype.org and look up the V6 history. Scott's posted some really good info on them and you should be able to figure out the casting numbers ect. If you decide not to use the 78 intake ( I think there's some issues with the EGR passages btw) I do have a holley street dominator for the earlier 78 and before engine. To use the turbo you'd just need to fab a plate up to mount it where the carb goes.:)

Well I have this Turbo 225 in my 83 Cutlass now and it runs quite well. The idle is a little shaky but I understand that this might be somewhat normal for the oddfire 6.

I have a little smoke out the tailpipe that I believe is from the turbo. So I am considering a rebuild. need to go to Gpop and see what they can do for parts for me.

I also need to work on timing etc since I have some detonation with the NA timing. I was thinking of using the vac advance can ad a poor mans boost retard

I do NOT have a PEVR valve at this point, am going to have to start searching the forum for info and options.

The downpoipe was a pain to fabricate with the AC box in the way but in the end it worked.

I will be in this forum a bit more frequently now that I am moving on to the tuning aspects.

attaching a pic
enginereadytostart.JPG

curious as to why you chose the oddfire for this swap?

I did a couple of blower oddfire builds back in the day, interesting motors to say the least. Alot of regular buick 350 parts can be used, rods, bearings, pistons... makes it umm.... kinda easy to build a decent NA motor.

Used the oddfire only because it was what I had.

I got the 6cyl and turbo setup together out of a mudding jeep, intending to use the turbo setup only on something else.

But then the 6cyl Olds Cutlass I found had a cracked block 3.8.

So I ended up regasketing the 225 and dropping it in the Olds.

Ultimate performance is not the goal, though I will try to tune for what I can get out of the setup.

Used the oddfire only because it was what I had.

I got the 6cyl and turbo setup together out of a mudding jeep, intending to use the turbo setup only on something else.

But then the 6cyl Olds Cutlass I found had a cracked block 3.8.

So I ended up regasketing the 225 and dropping it in the Olds.

Ultimate performance is not the goal, though I will try to tune for what I can get out of the setup.

yes sir I know that position! very cool you were able to piece it all together to work right. what kind of boost have you made? how does it feel even though your not tuned right? I love seeing this kind of crazy build!

I dont know what boost I have made. I dont even have a boost gage installed yet. Only just got it on the road.

It drives like a stock 6 cyl 83 cutlass. The trans is the stock 1983 TH350 and it slides into gear really slow. Comfy driving/cruising but not at all performance minded. rear gear ratio is probably 2.56 at best.

"peppy" isnt even a consideration when trying to find words to describe it. "easy" and "smooth" come to mind. the car rides real nice.

I get detonation / pinging really soon into the secondaries so I wont stay in the throttle long.

addressing the turbo oil smoke and the timing are the next steps I believe.

I set it up with about 21 initial degrees timing, 0 mechanical (removed weights and put in heaviest springs I had) and about 16 degrees vacuum advance. Using the vac advance as a poor mans boost retard.

Anyone have any tips on timing this thing?

the timing as I have it now set gets much less detonation, but when I get into the throttle wide open I can hear it rattle a bit when the turbo spools up.

I dont really like the "shakiness" of the oddfire V6 at idle in Drive. It also has a significant (several hundred) rpm drop from park to D. I am used to seeing this kind of thing with light mechanical advance springs in a natural aspirated setting. Not sure what the story is right now.

The engine really sounds like a jeep.

I have found a 3.73 posi rear from a monte I can swap in, and I have a built TH350 I will swap in for the stocker.