Swap over to a Tremec T56?

GlockandRoll

Just wondering if anyone here had done it.

I hate automatic transmissions, and would love nothing more than to drop my GN down some to make it handle better and bang gears.

Theres a thread on here where a guy installed one but i think he went v8 too...Search love it or hate it....It may give you some ideas if nothing else...I think you use el camino/ Malibu reproduction pedals they are the only g body that i know of that ever came with a stick...

Just wondering if anyone here had done it.

I hate automatic transmissions, and would love nothing more than to drop my GN down some to make it handle better and bang gears.

Im suprised nobody puts them in these cars. With the advancements they have today .Faster spooling turbos, recirculation valves. For the money it would cost your better off with the modded 200r4.I would love to drive one with it installed.

Im suprised nobody puts them in these cars. With the advancements they have today .Faster spooling turbos, recirculation valves. For the money it would cost your better off with the modded 200r4.I would love to drive one with it installed.

I agree completely.. I dont drag race, this is just to make it more drivable and get better fuel economy. I hate automatics, hate them.

There're a lot of Threads on MonteCarloSS.com and MalibuRacing.com Forums about T56 installs, parts lists etc... One member sells modded F-body pedals.

I can think of maybe 1 thread in 7 years where someone did that swap. Cant imagine why anyone would ever want to do that to a TR. It would look absurd. Not to mention turbo cars work much better with automatics.

I remember going for a ride in a turbo mustang a few years ago and when I got out of the car I completely understood why no one does it. It was terrible every time he shifted gears cause the car felt like it was nosing over after each shift.

Although, I do know someone who had an auto in his mustang and traded someone for a 5 speed. Two each his own I guess.

Then again, I could not imagine a Supra with an automatic of any sort.

For anything straight line automatics are where its at...its like in dsm land....for a stock car or close to it a standard is much more fun but if your making any kind of power automatics are the way to go point blank. A tr just would not feel right without the auto

I dont drag race, and I can shift very fast... it wouldn't be the 1st turbo I had with a stick. Cant stand autos, and I want to do anything I can to separate myself from someone mullet wearing grease-monkey with a GED and a jacked up rear end with skinny tires in front.

This car being so popular with the drag racers is actually a fluke, and had it been a manual trans, would have been realized as it's true potential as a road car... not some always slipping the stall converter ****ty handling straight line machine.

No offense, but this site's search feature is one of the weakest of the half dozen or so forums I frequent.

Reason: if you search in general, and don't get any hits, you have to wait another minuet before searching in a specific area. Furthermore, I searched T-56 and T56, and got no results.

If this is user error on my part, forgive me, but the search is not like others I am familiar with.

Well hopefully you can find that vette your wanting to trade that gn for...that way you won't have to worry about our mullets and slipping transmissions and ****ty search feature....

I think its pretty obvious Buicks are probably not for you. Probably not me either actually. Why try to reinvent the wheel? Id go Vette but they are a dime a dozen. Id really go Supra but they are way too expensive

I think its pretty obvious Buicks are probably not for you. Probably not me either actually. Why try to reinvent the wheel? Id go Vette but they are a dime a dozen. Id really go Supra but they are way too expensive

I didnt ask your opinion.

No offense, but this site's search feature is one of the weakest of the half dozen or so forums I frequent.

Reason: if you search in general, and don't get any hits, you have to wait another minuet before searching in a specific area. Furthermore, I searched T-56 and T56, and got no results.

If this is user error on my part, forgive me, but the search is not like others I am familiar with.

I wish the search didn't make us wait and wish it let us search on smaller words like TE TA GNX T etc as part of searches... FYI, I use google search to find threads on the boards...pita though.

There have been quite a few swaps done, mostly in the late 80's and early 90's. If I remember right, they would slow the car down and the driveability of the car was comprimised. The biggest drawback is the fact that these engines don't rev very high. Maybe with todays technology things would be better. Sounds like a blast if it were all sorted out.

The key is using quotation marks on the word you use. It does take some time to search on here but it's one of the best boards on information you can find. The knowledge here is well worth it and the tech knowledge of the members is first rate.

As far as putting a stick on a low RPM engine that has a very peaky torque curve just isn't a smart idea. There is also the issue with thrust bearings which don't do well with a stick. You'd be better off finding a camaro with a V6 3800 Series II and a stick in it and transplant it in the G body and then turbo it. That would be the most effective way to put a stick in your car and make some decent power.:smile: