Swap 87 GN motor/trans into 76 Century?

sean Buick 76

Buick nut to the bone
How hard is this swap?

There are very few performance parts for my Buick 350, the 455 is hard on gas, so the turbo V6 is what I want in my car.

I have a th350 now so the trans should be an easy swap.
So if I use the 200R4 and a complete motor what else do I need besides ecm and harness?

Will the turbo hit anything?

Mounts should be easy right?

Any idea of cost involved excluding the motor and trans?

Thanks.

sean Buick 76 said:
How hard is this swap?

There are very few performance parts for my Buick 350, the 455 is hard on gas, so the turbo V6 is what I want in my car.

I have a th350 now so the trans should be an easy swap.
So if I use the 200R4 and a complete motor what else do I need besides ecm and harness?

Will the turbo hit anything?

Mounts should be easy right?

Any idea of cost involved excluding the motor and trans?

Thanks.
Should go right in. Buick 350 frame pads, V6 motor mounts (cheap unless you go poly), TH400 crossmember (earlier Century with a 455 should have it), TH350 driveshaft. It might take a custom downpipe but I doubt it since the architecture between the 64-72, 73-77, and 78-87 intermediates is pretty close. That will get the engine in the car, to make it run you need to upgrade the fuel lines to a supply and return type rated for high pressure, add either an external pump for the EFI or modify the tank for an intank pump. You will also need to add a VSS sensor on the transmission though I am pretty sure the sender unit for an autometer electronic speedometer works and has a cable pass through so it will run a cabledrive speedo aswell. I'm sure there are a few other little things to worry about but thats most of what I can think of and am planning on using a simular setup for my 1st Gen Riv hybrid.

Thanks, I've seen you on the V8Buick site aswell. Why would I use a th400 cross member with the 200R4? Am I missing something?

sean Buick 76 said:
Thanks, I've seen you on the V8Buick site aswell. Why would I use a th400 cross member with the 200R4? Am I missing something?
Certified Buick nut here!
A TH200-4R is the same length as a TH400 to the mounting position but the driveshaft is the same as a TH350.

Then couldn't I just move the cross member back to the other holes? Sorry, I'm always full of questions!!! :D

if it is a crossmember that you can do that to and the frame has the correct mounting holes in it already or you can drill them.

Cool.

I'm guessing my 4,000 pound car could go 12.99 (my goal) at sea level with 450 hp and proper setup with sticky 10" tires.

Every 100 pounds is suppost to be worth roughly .5 in the quarter so I guess I should shave a hundred pounds or more to help my cause!

Anyone know a good calculator?