Swain High Temp Coating

gtiblklv

I WAS CURIOUS TO KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE USING SWAIN COATINGS ON THERE HEADERS, HEADS, PISTONS, ETC....?

IF SO, WAS THERE ANY NOTICABLE HORSEPOWER GAINS OR COOLER RUNNING MOTORS....?

They are the BOMB! I have the header coating on several cars. It's the only coating I have seen that absolutely will not flake and burn off. It's not smooth like other ones....it's textured like medium sandpaper, which some people will not like. It comes in white, but you can paint over it with any color you want.

The headers on my GN were done 5+ years ago and they still look like new. I don't work for Swain or get any endorsements, but I challange anyone to show me coated headers as old as mine that look as good.

If it wasn't for the dang TR oil leak, they would have no deficiencies at all.

I have the piston's on my TTA motor coated but it has never run:(

KOOL, SO IF I CHOOSE TO SAY PAINT MY HEADERS ANOTHER COLOR SUCH AS GREY, CAN I PAINT OVER THE COATING WITHOUT IT DISCOLORING? THANX....

I don't think just any paint will work, however with that stuff under it, those generic header paints you see everywhere would probably actually stay on the headers, its still going to get hot, just not nearly as hot.

I have it on my TTA headers and love it. I just send my turbo exhaust housing out to them yesterday to have done on my new turbo. They did the TE-60 I have and I've had no problems.

Originally posted by gtiblklv
KOOL, SO IF I CHOOSE TO SAY PAINT MY HEADERS ANOTHER COLOR SUCH AS GREY, CAN I PAINT OVER THE COATING WITHOUT IT DISCOLORING? THANX....

you can definitely paint over it. The question will be if it discolors and how long before it does. I can guarantee that the surface temp of Swain coated headers is less than most if not all other coatings. As such, it the paint should be less prone to fading, but realistically we still get these headers pretty darn hot compared to a norm-aspirated car.

I used VH hi-temp header paint (white) over parts of mine before I installed them.

mark b said:
They are the BOMB! I have the header coating on several cars. It's the only coating I have seen that absolutely will not flake and burn off. It's not smooth like other ones....it's textured like medium sandpaper, which some people will not like. It comes in white, but you can paint over it with any color you want.

The headers on my GN were done 5+ years ago and they still look like new. I don't work for Swain or get any endorsements, but I challange anyone to show me coated headers as old as mine that look as good.

If it wasn't for the dang TR oil leak, they would have no deficiencies at all.

I have the piston's on my TTA motor coated but it has never run:(

I know this thread is 3 months old, but I am curious:
Did you have the inside of the headers coated? I heard they Swain doesn't coat the insides like other coating companies.

Anyone got a link for the Swain coationg? Never heard of it but I like the sound of it. Is it a do-it-forself thing or send off the parts? TIA.

I have used them for coating pistons and header's ... but it's only been on for 5 years or so :eek:

Don't confuse them with the Jet Hot $tuff. Swain is top notch. I read alot before I did my downpipe. Looks really nice (not on yet). I was told you could paint over it, just make sure that you buy a good hi-temp hi-heat paint.