Suspension Upgrades-Help

darb

Been modding the car alittle with all the begginer stuff. Got it pretty close to running the way I want it. Have install my THDP with test, crossover and passenger header and it will be done under the hood for a while. The suspension is completely stock. I do have the GNX wheels and 245's up front and 255's in back. The springs and shocks are wore completely out. The car floats like a big bus on the highway. Want to tighten the car up considerably. Can I get some suggestions from you guys on what to do. Thanks

Brad

1987 GN Hardtop 36k miles
scanmaster II, afpr, walbro 340-hotwired, autometer 30/30 boost gauge, caspers knock gauge, postons driver side header, Atr 2.5 SS catback, Nick Micale Hi-Efficiency radiator, 160 stat, Gary Mitchell 93 chip, adj. wastegate, all spring cleaning complete

Here is what I have for suspension and my car rides like a dream: new springs, bilstein shocks all around, hotchkis lower control arms, and atr sway bars, the thing handles awesome, I also have an airbag.

my shocks and springs are shot also. the ride is not terrible but bad enough. so tonite i went and got some rear springs (moog cc627) which are supposed to be stock replacements. it lifted the car up about an inch. looks tons better and handles better too. i've had several ppl ask if my car was lowered with the junk springs in it. maybe this weekend i will do the fronts with the stock replacement moogs. i wanted the eibach kit but opted for the cheaper route. i believe so far that it will suit me just as well as the more $$$ eibachs.

hope that helps,

-josh
86 gn

some stuff

IMO, the best thing I did to improve the handling of the car was replace all the body mounts,, take a close look at your body mounts, I'll bet they're toast.
The second best was the lower front braces,, which are stock equipment on many other G-bodies.

Already have new springs and Bilsteins in the back.
Have new body mounts except for the front which will be replaced

Here is what I will be doing this winter.

Have new Moog 5604 (stock replacement) springs that need to be installed
Bilsteins waiting to installed in front
Will be installing a new front suspension kit from PST this winter
Will install new trailing arms or buying a box kit and bushings from HRparts-n-stuff

This should bring me up to date on front and rear suspension.

Most of the suggestions here are very good. I would purchase the rear suspension items from hrpartsnstuff. Good suspension and bushings make a world of difference. Also good shocks. For a daily driver bilsteins are hard to beat. They even work good on the track. Sway bars are an excellent handling upgrade. I would keep looking at hrpartsnstuff whats new page as they will be coming out with some stuff in that area soon.