Suspension and steering rebuild for beginners!!!

Excellent write up... I would add, if you haven't already done so; the Jeep steering shaft mod. It is a HUGE improvement. I put one on my GN and when I turn the steering wheel, the car actually moves! It used to wallow. Now, it feels significantly more responsive. Just my .02.

Which Jeep steering shaft? I installed one on my Typhoon and loved it. Which one does the GN need?

I don't have that info, but I know a search of the forum would pull it up. I've seen that upgrade mentioned a LOT around here...so the info is out there!!

FINALLY been driving the car for the last week! Getting ready to post a review on how the car handles! :)

Still working on that dang bump steer....but no surprise on that since I'm doing all by drive instead of a gauge. But yes....feeling dang good.

Sway bar is on! Though I Still need to modify the shroud to work with it...this weekend!

Hey i recognize that car ;) Good job!!!!!!! I had to do the same thing to mine last year!!!

Yeah....YOU are one of the reasons I did this!!! LOL!!! The comments you were saying about how it was rolling on/off the truck...I hadn't even noticed that yet! Then a local guy in Norfolk rebuilt my transmission for me had the car on a lift for the install and pointed out how the tires were tilted and explained how the suspension effects that...next thing I know...rebuilding the whole thing!

Glad I did it though..plus you helped me with the power drain. :)

EXCELLENT thread. I've been reading this over and over again to prepare for my suspension rebuild. Quick question about the upper control arm nuts and bolts. Is it the bolt that's splined or the nut? It looks like the nut should spin freely, but the bolt is supposed to be held captive in the frame? I just want to make sure I don't attempt to turn the wrong one and end up shearing off the splines.

The bolt is splined just like a wheel stud and are pressed into frame.
Thanks. I'll make sure I don't screw the splines up. So with the nut off, the arms could be wiggled out(longshot). Or, screw the nut out to the end of the bolt threads and then hammer--->plastic hammer the splined bolts out to avoid damaging the bolt threads.

Usually you can remove the arms fairly easily unless they're rusted up. On the drivers side it helps to take the steering shaft out.;)

[quote="WH1_T-Type, post: 3099470, member: 30965] Then a local guy in Norfolk rebuilt my transmission for me :)[/quote]
Thanks for the plug, but I must add I am not in Norfolk...hell no....but out in the sticks away fom the masses yet still not off the radar. ;)

Sincere thanks to the OP for posting this. I was able to save major $$$ doing the front suspension on my own.

Hey Matt, the spring in the pick that has the white paint mark on it is in upside down. I Just replaced some today and there's a note on the box that says white paint indicates top of the spring. Just wanted to point that out,not sure what it will hurt if anything.

Also curious what type of upper BJ's those are they look long in the pic.

excellent write up! I'll also be using this when i do mine, once it starts warming up again!

Also curious what type of upper BJ's those are they look long in the pic.
im guessing those are brians upper arms and either had them come with the taller ball joints, possibly UMIs, or he just ordered the ball joints seperately from UMI.
Are the taller ball joints necessary? what are the advantages? im currently working on a parts list for when i do mine.

im guessing those are brians upper arms and either had them come with the taller ball joints, possibly UMIs, or he just ordered the ball joints seperately from UMI.
Are the taller ball joints necessary? what are the advantages? im currently working on a parts list for when i do mine.
I would say they help with the camber curve, but I would also like confirmation and a part number.

I would say they help with the camber curve, but I would also like confirmation and a part number.
You are correct. The taller ball joints help with camber. Brian at g body told me he uses proforged ball joints. That's what I got with my upper arms when I asked for 'tall' ball joints.

I know Charlie said that he wants to keep the parts listing on the DL, But i am about to redo my steering, and was wondering either what these parts were in this write up, or if the Gbodyparts rebuild kit is worth the $280?