Support rod for header panel.

bishir

Serenity Now
Check out these photos. My header panel broke where the support rod connects the drivers side. It looks like I could maybe find another rod ( the one that broke is missing) and epoxy it? Any tips or anyone with an extra rod?
Non broke side
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1397363107.518294.jpg

Broke side
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1397363145.382078.jpg

I did some fabrication on my GN header panel in the light bucket area. I used some pieces of dense blister packaging as forms that approximated the shape of the area that needed repair. It was near the mount holes for the head light bezel. I lined the mold with fold & close sand wrap or maybe clear kitchen wrap that I found does not stick to the epoxy after it cures.

I used an old headlight bezel to locate everything in place. It all worked out fine no visible difference once everything was assembled & painted. I used JB Weld. I also used this method to make new ears with mount holes for plastic trim like the vent panel piece under the steering wheel.

Bishir do you need the threaded metal post? I have a badly damaged (multiple breaks) 84 Regal nose. One of those rods came loose when I was trying to take the rusty nut off a WI parts car. Next trip out to the farm I could probably come up with it. I would think you could figure out a way to repair yours. Worth a try anyway.

Yes I need the post. There is enough thread left I can mount it and jb weld it I believe. This panel would be salvageable then. Lmk, thanks!

I will go out to storage one day this week to pick up some wheels and tires. The wheels on my project are leakers. Not today cause it frikkin' snowed again last night... but it will be warmer for this old wuss in a day or two. I will let you know?
Bob

Give me your address. I'll send one tomorrow if you still need. Government mail of ups let me know

bishir,
Got what you need coming? If not let me know, I picked up my wheels today finally. SNOW twice this week but it was gone this PM.

Anyway, I got a ratchet on the rusty nut but the whole deal just spun in place & I could not find a vice grips to grab the other end of the bolt. I will make a point of picking it up this weekend if you still need it.
Bob

The small one from the end of the header came out EZ as it was in a slot. Not the one you need tho if I understand right.

Attachments

• HeaderBOLTsm.JPG
    HeaderBOLTsm.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 98
Right, I needed the other one. Good news is that I was sent one in the mail yesterday. You guys are great!

Thanks for letting me know. I would have made a special trip - I know how obsessive I get about crappy litttle fixit ideas. They don't always work but you just about always learn something.

I made more than just a couple repairs with JB! Tail light housing including screw mounting tabs, head light buckets, headlight surrounds, interior plastic panels and mounting tabs. I could be a shill for them I am sure. One of the properties of the stuff is that it slowy sets up & that is important.

So my recommendation is to make a practice run - do a mold, clamps, whatever forms, I think I used fold n close sandwich bag for liner, scrap of thin cardboard and A SCREW! I did my practice using tooth picks for support and/or straightened paper clips. Clean the screw and spray with WD-40 or silicone and let dry. Then go for it.
  1. Mold/Supports in place
  2. MIx epoxy
  3. Fill the lined form
  4. Insert screw though cardboard
  5. Insert the screw in whatever position you want it in (using cardboard collar to maintain support). No bubbles or pockets
  6. Allow some time for the cast epoxy to harden slightly (it may say something on package i don't remember)- then back the screw out a 1/4 turn.
  7. Allow another 1/2 hour back the screw out all the way.
  8. Wala - you have a threaded cast tab (or tower or post)
  9. Adjust your timing or method on the real deal using what you observed. You'll have a good idea what works.

I used that method to repair the white back & some busted out taillights& tabs. Also repaired cracks & chips in red lenses with some clear JB... they were tinted after. The stuff can be carved, sanded and painted. Whipee ding!

Don't start me talking... on & on & on I'll go.

Good luck.