Super high shift points?

S10xGN

RETIRED!
Hi All,

This is about my son's '86 MCSS (200R4). Two months ago, we did a fluid, filter, TCC lock solenoid and adjusted the TV cable. Since then, the car's shift points are way high. I didn't realize how bad it was until I rode in it - the 1 - 2 shift is around 4,000 with a normal pedal! If you back off on the pedal, it shifts immediately. At least the convertor locks now... Any ideas?

Thanks!

Originally posted by S10xGN
Hi All,

This is about my son's '86 MCSS (200R4). Two months ago, we did a fluid, filter, TCC lock solenoid and adjusted the TV cable. Since then, the car's shift points are way high. I didn't realize how bad it was until I rode in it - the 1 - 2 shift is around 4,000 with a normal pedal! If you back off on the pedal, it shifts immediately. At least the convertor locks now... Any ideas?

Thanks!

Shot govenor spring out. Drop pan and look for spring. Pray to God you can find it and reuse it. I will tell you how to repair so it never happens again. Did this occur right after a full throttle blast? Usually does....

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

Hi Guys,

Knowing my son (19), it was definitely a full throttle blast (LOL)... Bruce, if you don't mind, tell me what needs to be done as I have a couple of days off to pull the pan and fix it.

Thanks!

Well guys,

Finally got around to pulling the governor out for inspection - it was fine! After looking at the TV cable again, it no longer "self-adjusts" like it once did. It was all the way back as far as it could go, so we moved it forward about 4 clicks and the car's back to shifting normally.

Do some cables not self-adjust? The one on my S10xGN does, and my old GN did too....

Thanks!

Great! easy fix and your rolling...

Bruce
WE4

Just did it last night guys......but my mech said to wait till my car was cool and try to pull on my tv.....?? Is this true? and can anyone please email me the procedure to get the spring back on please, this is driving me crazy....

One more thing, my shift kit was working fine up until this, now obviously it will not work, will everything get kosher after reinstalling spring? And how many clicks forward should tv be set?

Thanks in advance...........

Do as we talked about today. Try that.

Bruce
WE4

thanks,

WE4 will put off till tomorrow since I will access to a lift.....
will keep you updated....thanks again man..

To adjust the TV Cable skip the book method and do this: Press the D button on the adjuster and loosen the cable setting. Now, have someone floor the gas pedal while you check to see if the throttle plate is open all the way. Usually they are off a little and will wiggle. Do whatever you have to do to get it open solid. Now, with the pedal still floored, press the D button and pull the cable casing (the black tube) back as hard as you can and release the button. You now have the engine, tranny and gas pedal all in sync at WOT. Mark the cable so if for some reason it gets moved you can know where to put it again. The problem with the 'self adjust method' is that it bends things and puts them permanently out of whack. It is also the full TV setting, which is theoretically what the GM method does.

WE4- THANKS A MILLION!!!!! Spring was laying in the pan as you said, and busted in two parts....Luckily, my mech, Jeff from Economy Auto here in Pompano, lifted it, changed the oil while he was at it, and replaced as per what you said, he never done that before so I guess two plusses came out of this......Now back to HURTING THESE FLORIDA STREETS.........:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ps- good info transfixleo, will use, thanx...........