Sup guys, new "hot-air" owner here

T-Type

TR Enthusiast
Hey everyone,

I just purchased a "hot-air" 1984 T-Type recently and I had a couple of questions. The car seems to idle fairly rough, and even when given a good amount of gas, it doesn't go anywhere and feels very sluggish. It cruises fine and everything, but it just idles fairly rough, takes awhile to start, and seems very sluggish even when I give it a good amount of throttle. I was thinking maybe a vacuum/boost leak somewhere?

It had been sitting in storage for quite some time prior to me buying it, so I was just wondering what all I should do immediately to get it running in top shape again. I am also wondering about some good performance mods I could do to the car to get me started in that department.

Also, do any of you know of any good turbo Buick parts sites?

EDIT: One final question haha, sorry. When I take it in for an oil change, what oil do you suggest I use and what weight? Should I use synthetic or not?

Thank you very much!

You have a lot of reading in your future. A good place to start is Turbo Regal Web Site and start with their spring cleaning first. To really see what your car is doing you need a scan tool, Scan Master, Turbo Link, OTC. A Scan Master will only work with an 86/87 ECM # 1227148. Also a fuel pressure and boost gauge are necessities too. There are a lot of very knowledgeable guys on this board but without the info provided by the scan tool your just guessing. If you know what has been modded already or if it is still stock put that in your signature, it is easier for the guys helping you to know this. The only mod you should do now would be upgrade the stock fuel pump to a Walbro if not already done. You need to get the car running good first then start thinking about mods. You can get parts from the parts for sale sections on this and other boards, E Bay, there are a lot of vendors out there to many to mention. A lot of them are sponsor to the boards, you can also do a Google search too. If you need something specific post it. Good luck.

Oh yeah, I use Mobil 1 and use a high quality oil filter too.

T-TYPE- Take GNGARYS advice as a start. Since you are new beware that these cars are 99 percent computer controlled(only IAC and TPS can be manually adjusted) from stock. Everything else is fooling/change the computer and engine mods. Remenber -define your goal with your car and always let us know what you want to achieve. Brad

I would second what has already been said, with one addition. As part of the "spring cleaning" you should do to the vehicle (go here) I would strongly recommend giving your vacuum lines a good once-over. I believe under the stickied post at the top of the screen basic hotair info there are some links to a few detailed vacuum diagrams, which are very helpful in deciphering the snakes nest of black hoses we have under our hoods. If the motor has been sitting awhile, I would recommend replacing pretty much all the vacuum lines and as many fittings as you can. Granted, most of them are probably not leaking, but its nice to get them all replaced just for peace of mind, and it keeps you from having to track down vacuum leaks every few months as another one of the original hoses breaks.

Once you figure out the sizes of hose you need, just go to the parts store, get a few feet of each diameter hose, and have at it.

Just my thoughts, hope the advice helps.

Thanks guys, I'll definately do all the "spring cleaning" maintenance that I need to do. Also, in case you were wondering, the car is bone stock.