Sunoco GT 100 Unleaded - question

QuickWE4

Fuggedaboudit.
Hello all:

I've located a Sunoco station near me (well, sort of) that sells GT100 unleaded out of the pump at like $3.99 a gallon. If I run this fuel exclusively, can I have my chip burner make me a chip for 100 octane or is this gas not a true 100 octane?

Prior to this, I had been running Powermist 105 RFG but it's too expensive, and I'm starting to drive the car a tad bit more now that the weather is nice.

Not interested in going to alky right now as I'm still learning how to tune. Primarily like to run the high octane stuff more as cushion for detonation as I don't take the car to the track.

Anybody use this gas on a regular basis?

TIA
Rich

Try it, you light like it!

Rich:

I tried the GT-100 for the first time about a week ago. Prior to this, I had used GT-104 exclusively, but the track only sells the GT-100 now. It ran okay for me. I say try a small amout and sneak up on the boost that you're aiming for. I've never had any problems with the unleaded stuff, but other people have. So, you're right back to having to see if your car responds to it (in a good way!) :)

-Bobby

Thanks Bobby....

I'm going to load up a tank. Just wanted to make sure that when people say that they have a chip burned for 100 race fuel, they mean unleaded OR leaded an not just leaded.

From what I understand, this station used to sell GT104 as well, but I can't find that stuff anywhere - it's just the GT100 now.

Much easier and safer than carrying home four 5-gallon drums of Powermist in the trunk of my Chrysler. Don't want it to become a Pinto, ya know? ;)

Rich

...don't load up yet!

Why not try a few gallons first, before loading up? Who knows, your car may not like the 100 stuff. Personally, all I try to use is GT-104. I had no choice the other week and had to use the 100. The 104 is still available, you just have to search a bit harder for it. The sales guy at the track told me that the ricer's really like the GT-100 and it's marketed as a "street" fuel, where as the GT-104 is listed as a racing fuel and should not be used on the street.

-Bobby

Nothing but 100UL in my car the last 2 years (except 116). I have both a JL and Jim Testa chip burned for 100. I think they are 21* or 22* of timing and I run 22# of boost on the street. :)

Re: ...don't load up yet!

The sales guy at the track told me that the ricer's really like the GT-100 and it's marketed as a "street" fuel, where as the GT-104 is listed as a racing fuel and should not be used on the street.
-Bobby
For the most part octane is octane so your chip won't care if it's leaded or unleaded (yeah, I know there will be differences due to oxygenation levels but basically a small tweak in fuel pressure makes it all look the same and I really don't feel like typing two pages to give all the little differences that no one would read anyway :)). As for the GT104, it contains a lot of MTBE, so much that it's oxygen concentration is higher than the EPA allows for pump gasoline so it can't be sold as a pump gas, only as a race gas. It runs just fine so you won't hurt anything if you can get it. Oh, don't forget to pay your road taxes just like all y'all do with your C-16 :cool:.

100 octane

Rich,
I live in North Jersey, up by the end of the Garden State Parkway. Were did you find 100 oct?

Thanks John

My car has been on a steady diet of 100 unleaded for 3 years, with a Red Armstrong 100 chip. The 02 sensor lasts much longer than 110 leaded, but not as long as 93 unleladed.

Hi John...

The Sunoco I found is in Ledgewood NJ - a bit west of Denville. I think it's one of only two Sunocos in Northern NJ listed on Sunoco's website carrying the GT fuels. It's right on Rt 46.

Sidenote: anybody ever use Powermist fuels?

Rich:D

Man, I'm glad to see that some people are finally coming out and saying that they use the unleaded stuff. I felt like I was the Lone Ranger when I use to post about using 104. I've been using it for a few years now, simply because I was tired of the SES light coming on before the day/night or that tank of leaded fuel was done. I've been able to run high boost levels with the GT-104 without problems. I can't speak on the GT-100, but I really like the 104 and use to buy it by the drum!:) Since my local track has switched to the only the 100, I'm going to have to go back to the drum deal!

-Bobby

Carl => I have a special tax form, just for race gas! :rolleyes:

Users of Unleaded Racing Fuel - UNITE!

LET OUR VOICES CARRY OVER THE...(ok, I'm getting a little carried away - haven't taken my pills tonight)

:D

Rich

Re: 100 octane

Originally posted by JFH
Rich,
I live in North Jersey, up by the end of the Garden State Parkway. Were did you find 100 oct?

Thanks John

I can just about spit on that place from my house. Next time your around, make it a Tuesday night. There's a weekly gathering of American muscle at the McDonalds on Rt. 10. The ricers have completely taken over that place. But, on Tuesday nights they sit on the other side of the lot and glare at the domestics.

Jim

Jim, the one by Kmart, or up in Ledgewood by Outback?

The one out in front of Chi Chi's - by Cinema 10. I haven't actually been there yet, but my dad and bro have been there the past few weeks. They say attendance is growing. My bro told me about the ricers getting pissed off - thot that was funny. Like they own the place.

Jim

Sounds like that could be a good hang.

I used to cruise Rt. 10 when I lived in Denville and never went up that far, so I may check it out this coming tues.

Rich

Originally posted by QuickWE4
Sounds like that could be a good hang.

I used to cruise Rt. 10 when I lived in Denville and never went up that far, so I may check it out this coming tues.

Rich

When I get the engine back in my car I'm going to head down there. Otherwise, all the pushing gets tiring. Plus you get weird looks from people when you stand in the engine bay and make pretend engine noises.

My dad said that as early as 6 a decent sized crowd had gathered last night....

Jim

Sounds cool.

Hey, maybe we can get Testa to bring his car down once he gets his big fancy motor together ;)

Later guys,
Rich

Originally posted by QuickWE4
Users of Unleaded Racing Fuel - UNITE!

LET OUR VOICES CARRY OVER THE...(ok, I'm getting a little carried away - haven't taken my pills tonight)

:D

Rich

I've found some Citgo Turbo Blue 105 Unleaded in South West Ohio. Sign on the pump states "Not for cars with Cat...." If it's unleaded, why the warning? My car does not like the gas with the Thrasher 92, still waiting to try it with my new Extender chip.. Anyone else have experience with this unleaded 105 blend?

count me in

Hey, I'm in classes on tue night but depending on what time they turn us loose I'll try to take a ride up there and check it out. What time does it usually break it up?

Re: count me in

Originally posted by Sleeper-6
Hey, I'm in classes on tue night but depending on what time they turn us loose I'll try to take a ride up there and check it out. What time does it usually break it up?

I'm not sure what nights the cruise is this year. It's definitely on again, though (you'll notice that this thread was started in May of 2002 ;)

I saw a sign out at McDonalds Friday morning that said "Cruise Here Tonight!", but I'm not sure if it was for the night prior (Thursday) or Friday. It's probably Thursday but I'll find out. It's a good time. By the end of the "season" last year they were turning people away early in the night because there were too many cars. People were then starting to get there stupid early just to get a spot in the "show".

Jim