sucking air, normal, or ?

Adam Whitman

Got my trans back in after smoking it after about 30 miles the first time. Bruce told me that it looked just like it was run low on fluid when he got it apart. Now I KNOW that it wasn't run below the full line on the dipstick, so we are at a loss of what caused it, though it's kinda a moot point now.

We added one of Bruce's pans, and a 700R4 filter in case it was acceleration slosh that did it. Also, am now running the fluid level at the "C" where it says "Check oil while running and engine hot"; and worked up to that level 1 pint at a time from being about 1 QT over on the dipstick.

Here's the trouble, with the pressure gauge on it, the gauge bounces up and down about +and- 20 PSI at part throttle settings and sometimes bounces more. At full throttle it seems to be good and stable. It has been doing this since initial startup in my car.

The trans was run in Bruce's poor test-car before getting here, and everything was A-OK; pressures stable and good (Bruce sent my data sheet with all of the test pressures as usual). My pressure readings are close to his, but he did not have the fluctuations that I do.

The only things diferent than what he had in the test car are the torque converter (YANK4000), and cooler setup (through a new stacked plate and the rad.). Shift linkage is free, and positive detents can be felt when shifting.

Do most gauges have a restrictor to help stabilize the needle? Ummm any other ideas?

Bruce has been working on this with me, I just thought some other ideas may be helpful. I don't wanna smoke another trans and the drags are Saturday.

Gage

Do you have a liquid filled guage? If not, is there any way you can put 1-2 tight loops in the hose or tubing ( assuming it isn/t an electric )? This might be enough to take the flutter out if the readings.

The hose is soft enough that pinching it for dampning wouldn't be a problem I don't think.

I wonder if the gauge should have to be dampened though? The gauge I'm using is a Subaru test gauge setup. I should have asked Bruce about that but didn't think of it until this morning. I hate to pester the guy TOO much.

Try a different gauge. Been thinking about this today. i will send you one if you like. Try it.
Otherwise runs great? Any other problems and does this one feel better than last?

Bruce
WE4

I didn't get to drive it too much(25 miles around town maybe), but noticed downshifts seem a little more harsh. 1-2 seems a little more positive, but not too sure yet. part-throttle shift into overdrive isn't until speed is up a little bit. (that must be the new boost-valve?) It feels different, but haven't narrowed it down to what yet.

WAY quicker shifts than the old TH400..hehe

Damn, the other one felt good though too right up until kablooey. I keep thinking it had to be a combination of sucking the pan too low and slosh.

I'll be driving 70 miles to the races this weekend so will be able to watch pressures the entire time. If I can think of someone with a video camera I will take a video of the gauge and send it... I'll also try to get another gauge; I think they have another one.

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid, but not knowing what did the first one in for sure makes it tough not to be.

Better safe than sorry..............Good Luck

Bruce
We4