Sub Questions for a dummy

BJM

I have never installed a subwoofer before. I planned on making an enclosure out of 3/4 MDF. I have a 70W dual channel amp that can be run in bridge mode at something like 180 W. I plan to get a 10" sub. I am not planning to blast myself out of my seat, I just want to add strength to the bass for highway rides with the windows open. Does this all sound reasonable? Do I need to spend a lot on the sub, how about Sony Xplod 10" its pretty cheap but is it going to sound decent?

Once I have the everything built do I just place it in the trunk or does it have to be bolted down.

Also, where can I get some cloth to cover the box that might look reasonable with my trunk interior (grey).

Definately bolt the box down or secure it somehow.
My box has 2 12"s and fits on the little shelf in the trunk. Mine is big enough, that I use wood wedges driven in at the top to keep it tight.
I would step up to a 12 if you are only going to have one sub.
Sony's are ok. I like JL Audios subs, but then, everyone has their preferences.
Actually, walmart has carpet in different colors to cover your box.
Also, some auto parts stores should carry carpet that is thin enough to use to cover your box.
Make sure the box is sealed tight. For your first box, I would buy a sub that works best in a sealed enclosure. They are much easier to build than a ported or bandpass set up.
You need good wood screws to hold the box together, and hold the sub in the box under that pressure.
Use a light near the seams in the box to help see where the leaks need to be plugged. I use rubber based sealer in all the joints. Any leaks will make the box sound bad.
Feel free to ask if you need any more help. Hope it goes well.

Bolt that bad boy down!!!!You will lose base energy with the box not firmly secured and you dont want to repair a 1/4 panel do to a dent from the box slamming into it.

If you need any tips on how to build the enclosure and what materials to use, feel free to e-mail me for details and good luck.

Build the box so that it's a tight fit between the upper trunk floor and the bottom of the rear deck. My box is a nice tight fit and will NEVER move unless I actually get inside the trunk and PULL it out. Works great. you can also then build a couple of simple racks to place on either side of the sub box that are held by friction between the wheel well and the sub box that can hold your amps, etc. Of course, gotta bolt the amps to the racks, but otherwise, no holes in the trunk!