Sub box ideas?

BuickMike

Money pit
When I finally get around to the interior of my project I am going to piece together an audio system using what I have laying around. So far I'll probably use an old Eclipse head unit, Q Forms with CDT Audio CL62 Pros in the kick panels, and some Boston Acoustics plate speakers in the 4X10 slots for some rear fill. I'm not going to drive a ton of power to the speakers at this point. The amps I have laying around are a Xtant 404M and a Hifonics Europa. Not sure which one I'll use and what signal processor (I do have a Coustic Xm5e crossover), but whatever it is it will be old school. :cool:

Not now I'm debating on my sub setup. I can use either a single 10" JBL 1000GTi (the old style). or I also have a pair of 1st gen Rockford Fosgate Audiophile 10"s. All these subs require ported enclosures.

I'm leaning towards the JBL since it is my favorite sub. It has to be ported, so I'm thinking fire it backwards and port it into the rear deck. This sub seems to work best in a 2ft box tuned to 38-40Hz if I remember correctly.

If I go with the RF's I'd either have to face them both back and port them into the rear deck, or maybe go with some kind of Isobarik setup to keep the spirit of old school alive. These subs normally require a 1.2 - 1.4 ft box ported at 35Hz. I could make a .6-.7 rear ported chamber and make it so the second sub fires backwards. It would be very compact and those subs would be able to take some good power. They wouldn't be super efficient though. I had really good results taking cheap woofers and putting them in isobarik boxes back in the day.

Anyway, I'd like to get some opinions from the vetrans and please throw out some new ideas using the subs I have.

Thanks!

Nice setup, but way more crazy than I want to go with. I have not had good luck with forward firing subs in sealed boxes with my car. I think the most natural sounding bass in a G body I ever heard was a IB setup. A friend of mine had a couple Kicker free air subs sealed off to the trunk and the response was really nice and super loud. Not the cleanest bass though, but that was because of his choice of speakers. I'm not so sure I want to go the IB route since it's a pain to get everything sealed correctly.

Im At the Nats and picked a box that GaryK1970 made custom for my trunk package shelf. Its a sealed box for 2 12's and it is ridiculous!!! Awesome awesome job! Bass is monstrous!!! he also made two amp racks custom in teh trunk as well. The amp pushing the 12's is a Kicker zx1000. Shoot him a PM and he can build you whatever you like. Very talented and straight up guy! Ill post up pics when I get back home

the idea of iso'ing two of the best sounding woofers RF ever made is appealing. Low airspace requirement that way as well. Those subs bandpass pretty well too...just a big box though. That one 10" ported and tuned low would be nice. You will have more attack with the single 10 ported or dual 10s ported. I'd bet you could 'off' those Audiophiles for some good coin on flEbay.

Considering my Audiophiles are in mint condition, and I mean perfect, I could get some $ for them. I actually picked them up off of CL for $20. That being said, there is no way I'll sell them. I have regretted selling other old audio equipment, so now I hoard anything vintage I come across. The Audiophiles take 1.2ft ported at 37hz I think. Remember, these are the 1st gen, so they need to be ported unlike the 2nd gen ones. I'm guessing an iso setup would need a .6 - .7ft rear chamber ported. That would be very compact for a pair of 10"s. I could fire them so the outer one faces the back and the port would face up to the rear deck. They should be able to handle 200w RMS no problem in that config and I imagine they would hit harder than in a standard config. It would be interesting for sure. Maybe I'll get some scrap wood and slap something together to see how the concept works out.

I'm open to other suggestions too of course!

Did you say you weren't using lots of amp on this system? If so go with the single 10" GTI in the ported box. You already know that you like the way that sounds and the ported box will be at least 3db more efficient than most of your other options. Did you say that this was your all-time favorite woofer? Then its a no-brainer right?

Did you say you weren't using lots of amp on this system? If so go with the single 10" GTI in the ported box. You already know that you like the way that sounds and the ported box will be at least 3db more efficient than most of your other options. Did you say that this was your all-time favorite woofer? Then its a no-brainer right?

The single GTI sub in a ported box will be the most efficient option, however I could always throw that bad boy in a different car if it doesn't sound great in the GN. Maybe I will decide that I'm wasting the GTI in the GN and want to go a different route. I guess I'm just bouncing my ideas off all of you to see if I'm going down the right path or not.

I'd ISO the Rockfords and port low (~30Hz). I've never had luck getting ported enclosures to sound right with the port and woofer on different faces, so I would point both towards the rear. Playing with teh x-over point to get them to blend will be your biggest issue IMO. Getting the 6 to breath in the kick will determine how low you can cross the 6's and therefore how high to cross the sub.

I have the GTI in a ported enclosure wit the port and sub on the same side. I will drop it in the trunk sometime and see what happens.