Strongest differential for street/strip use??

snyderjw1

I am trying to avoid putting a spool in my car....but the stock posi has given up the ghost....I still drive about 3000 miles a year with the car, so any advice/experience on a posi/carrier that will hold up to some track abuse (50 runs/year...1.4-1.5 60')? I am willing to put up with chatter, jumping, etc. at the drive through...

Thanks for the feedback....I think I will rebuild my eaton, and cross my fingers with the moser 28 spline axles for now....if I upgrade later, it looks like the 33 spline/spool combo with a cover may be the only significant improvement strengthwise over what I already have...then it's 9 inch I guess...

Thanks for the feedback....I think I will rebuild my eaton, and cross my fingers with the moser 28 spline axles for now....if I upgrade later, it looks like the 33 spline/spool combo with a cover may be the only significant improvement strengthwise over what I already have...then it's 9 inch I guess...

With as fast as your car is (mid 9's?) I would save the money rebuilding yours and put it toward a spool and good axles. On top of holding up to the power you are putting down it is MUCH safer on the track. I would not mess with anything less than the 33 spline and spool in an 8.5. If it is in the budget I would go straight to the 9" and 35 spline which will hold up to going as fast as you could ever want to go in a Buick:D

I was thinking of the aftermarket Eaton, much beefier.

Spools suck on the street. It's bearable if it's a once in a while deal, but otherwise.....
The car I drove with a locker felt like it might as well have a spool in it. I have not tried the light locker though. Curious about that.

With as fast as your car is (mid 9's?) I would save the money rebuilding yours and put it toward a spool and good axles. On top of holding up to the power you are putting down it is MUCH safer on the track. I would not mess with anything less than the 33 spline and spool in an 8.5. If it is in the budget I would go straight to the 9" and 35 spline which will hold up to going as fast as you could ever want to go in a Buick:D

I agree. Even when you spend all the money to beef up the 8.5 rear, the gears themselves are still the weakest link.