stroker clearance

turbobuick87gn

still learning
how much clearance issues am i going to have with putting a stroker crank in a 109 block.. like how much am i going to have to clearance. just wondering if i should put a stroker in it, or just keep stock stroke and have forged stock stroke.

how much more power would i make out of a 109 stroker, over a stoke stroke 109 with forged internals.

please all the engine builders give me some insite. thanks brett

The amount you need to clearance depends on the stroke and connecting rod.

If you go 3.625 with aftermarket rods, you will need to provide alot of clearance by the oil pump pickup passage in the block and the bottoms of the bores. The hardest part is if you break into the oil pickup passage, you will need to install a brass tube.

The amount you need to clearance depends on the stroke and connecting rod.

If you go 3.625 with aftermarket rods, you will need to provide alot of clearance by the oil pump pickup passage in the block and the bottoms of the bores. The hardest part is if you break into the oil pickup passage, you will need to install a brass tube.

I had no issues with a 3.625" stroker crank and K1 6" rods on the bottom of the bores . I never heard of there being issues with that . The only thing needed was to spend 10-15 mins clearancing the block oil passage for the #1 cyl rod bolt with a mini die grinder . another thing that had to be checked was connecting rod to cam clearance . and with a DLS 218/218 Roller there where no issues there as well . also check end of connecting rod side clearance to piston as well for each cylinder . don't quote me on this but from what I remember that should be .080" min . :) IMO you will notice the difference in overall performance with more of a "bottom end grunt" with a stroker vs a stock stroked build . I did . only downside IMO they are not cheap to build :)

i have a 3.625 storker and i had to machine bottom of cylinder bore to clear rod bolts(6" k1 rods) and cut on oil passage pickup tube. if i remember correctly .060 on rods and .035 on oil passage way.

has any on used the stroker kits they sell from full throttle.. anybody run into any problems with them. i'm still trying to decide to go with stroker or stock stroke. are there any advataged or disavantages between the two..

The Stroker is gonna make more power. Dan Strezo at DLS has everything you need to build a stroker. The stroker stuff is more money but you dont have to run the engine as hard to make the same power.

I am very satisfied with the stuff I got from Dan. He walked me through the whole thing. I just recently upgraded to a wide journal crank this gives me more oil on the rod bearings:biggrin: :biggrin:

x2 on checking your rod to cam clearance. i have a weber 3.625 kit. you can get the brass tube at any hobby store for like 2 bucks. i wouldnt think a stroker would be more if your buying a good bottom end anyway clearancing for the stoker would be the only price change wouldnt it?

does the stroker make more power due to the added cubic inches or more so because of the added stroke of the crank?

i ended up going with a stroker,for the little extra money i thought it was worth it for the added cubic inches.my builder did have some rod to cam clearance issue but just notched them and made a spacer for the pick up.he also recomended a larger oil pan.

you can get the brass tube at any hobby store for like 2 bucks.

If one is building a stroker or a high HP motor, why not just go with a Duttweiler or DLS style oil pump. This eliminates the restrictive front cover and you gave an external oil p/u feeding the oil pump.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

If one is building a stroker or a high HP motor, why not just go with a Duttweiler or DLS style oil pump. This eliminates the restrictive front cover and you gave an external oil p/u feeding the oil pump.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

i didnt know dls had a different pump and i tried to find out some info on the duttweiler pump but had no luck so i went with thre stock setup.the clerance in the pickup isnt a big deal though. mine didnt need a tube but sometimes they break through.whats the story on the different pumps? got any pics so we can see what we would be dealing with on an install?

I will throw in my 2365843876 cents (stroker multiply factor....)
I had to clearance the oil passage as well. 210/215 cam installed straight up with a 5.97" rod still contact the rod bolt (Scat forged).
Would I do it again?
Oh yes.....lotsa grunt for sure compared to my stock cube before it.

does he have a website.. so i could look at the stuff he has

I dont think Dan has a website. Here is a link to a thread I started along time ago documenting the build of our car. There are some photos of the engine in there.

TSM Build

Here is a link to the alternative oiling systems.

external oil system

Here is a link where I explained what I did on our engine

Clearance

This should give you some good reading. Several people have proven that the DLS stroker kit makes big power.