Stroker clearance

TurboTR

sprayhead
Don't see this mentioned much. But it can be a big deal :) The cam I have currently is .380" lobe lift, Comp Extreme Street profile lobes. The lobes come out fairly close to the cam journal diameter, like many rollers do. Crank has a 3.625" stroke. The rods are custom billet 6.25" Olivers, wide journal, on center. The one side where it might otherwise contact the cam lobe (right where the rod bolt would poke through the top) is shaped differently for stroker clearance to the cam lobes. It has a "flat" area there. Sounds good, the rods have been designed for stroker clearance and we are good to go, right? But in mine, with that Extreme Street, high lobe lift profile cam there was only about (roughly) 0.040" clrnc from the lobe tip to the flat area. It matters a bit where the cam lobe centerline is installed of course, etc. It's kinda tough to measure, but if you remove the piston next to a trouble cylinder you can reach down in there and get a small wire feeler gauge in, while also holding a mirror, a flashlight, standing on your head and speaking in tongues to the BMS gods, etc (lol).

BUT a sneaky upgrade to the problem- the high dollar, indestructo rod bolt$ in the high dollar rod$ (lol) do just barely poke through the top of the flat area. We're talking like 0.020-0.025" or so. But that also brings the rod to lobe static clrnc down into the 0.02x" range, roughly... Waaayyy too close for comfort, needless to say...

So heads up for anyone running a 3.625" stroke or even a 3.590" for that matter, and a high lobe lift cam, even if the word "Street" is attached to the profile description:) Or any cam that comes out near the journal diameter I guess. Especally like if you swap to a bigger cam from the one the engine was built with (carefully of course, assuming it had adequate clrnc originally ;)

TurboTR

almost all of the ex-Busch and ASA motors have rods that are ground for clearance on the "cam bumping" side as well as having the bolt on that side ground.

When I first put mine together, I had a rod with the non-clearanced side facing the cam and it bumped..I had to dis-assemble and flip it.

rods

If I remember right there are only 2 rods that will hit-- # 2 or 3 and 4 or 5. Anyway, you are correct in the lobe center setup making a difference. On mine if I advance (110 to 106) the cam, the clearance increases. I was told that .060 is min. Mine is @ .050 and did not hit until the crank broke.

Yeah! Do you have the cam moved up 0.080 like some of the special "4.5L" S2 blocks had?

TurboTR

no

but I have the crank turned down for sb chevy rod's so the big end of the rod will be smaller

I'll get them in there one way or another be it grinder or torch ..:D

Clearance

Red, I am afraid you are going to have some serious clearance problems with the back side of the rod hitting the cam lobes. Don/t know how much you could grind off the rod and thread end of bolt. Usually the bolt on the cam side is shorter.
Best of luck. I/m sure you will keep us informed.