STROBING Engine light...

SITHV6

Move against the Jedi 1st
OK, Finally got my engine redone with the comp 210/215 roller and decided to stomp on it a tiny bit on my way to top off the tank after filling it by hand with fresh gas for test drive purposes... Well, upon stomping on it the TE44 boosted what looked to be just over 22 PSI AND my fuel pressure was happy at over 60 BUT the car stuttered and the engine light had flashed and strobed in time with the stuttering...went back to the shop and checked for codes... none were tripped:confused: Has anyone experienced this before after a fresh rebuild? we double checked to see if we missed any wires. would a rapidly flashing engine light with stutter mean my 20 year old ecm is about to give up the ghost? sorry for the vague descriptions...

I have heard of ignition modules doing this. They will break up, and the ECM would flash the CEL but not have a code...

Go to NAPA and buy one and try it. If it does not work, they will take it back, they are pretty good about it, and I think a better quality part than you will get at Advance or Autozone... Then you can try a coil if necessary.

Mike

OK, Finally got my engine redone with the comp 210/215 roller and decided to stomp on it a tiny bit on my way to top off the tank after filling it by hand with fresh gas for test drive purposes... Well, upon stomping on it the TE44 boosted what looked to be just over 22 PSI AND my fuel pressure was happy at over 60 BUT the car stuttered and the engine light had flashed and strobed in time with the stuttering...went back to the shop and checked for codes... none were tripped:confused: Has anyone experienced this before after a fresh rebuild? we double checked to see if we missed any wires. would a rapidly flashing engine light with stutter mean my 20 year old ecm is about to give up the ghost? sorry for the vague descriptions...

The positive battery terminal/cable is shorting out against the heat shield at the starter when under load.....check it out!:biggrin:

Some of the Extender chips have a "shift light" feature that flashes the CE light at shift point. They have a rev limiter also, maybe you drove over the shift point? Other than that, check the B+ cable as stated above.

GOOD starting points!

Roger that! Check for bad ignition module and positive battery cable! Great input as always! THANKS AGAIN!

Dead On! Outstanding!

The positive battery terminal/cable is shorting out against the heat shield at the starter when under load.....check it out!:biggrin:

DEAD ON the mark! Went to the shop and popped the hood while mechanic was off working on another project, then wiggled and tugged on every vacuum and boost line, double checked the spark wires and ignition... THEN i looked at the positive battery cable and wiggled it at the terminal... Something CRACKLED! You know that sickning crackle of raw electricity shorting on something? Ran my hand down the cable towards the starter to get a positive ID if it wasnt a fluke...then i thought, "hey i shouldnt let my mechanic miss out on the fun if it ZAPS anyone...hopefully HIM! Went inside and dragged him out to look at the Forums inspired discovery i had made. I wiggle the wire and he hears the short crackling under the headers somewhere and sticks his hand under to look for it...;) NO ZAP! :rolleyes: Aw well, I'll get him next time! He said the cable had touched the exhaust and roasted the jacket, lets ee if we can fix it so i can get to the new track down here on the weekend! THANKS AGAIN GENTLEMEN!