Strengthening the 2004R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never did get the friggin talk and type thing to work. Now they say it 's not compatable with the gateway sound card. Damn.... More typing.....

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

i'm printing this little jewell..

Bruce, thanks for spending some time on the phone with me. i will be buying parts from you..

Darin

wow thats what i call tech support!!

think god so far i havent needed you but with my new motor probly wont be long.....double wow..wow

(printer smokin in background)...:)

Re: Strengthening the trans... the Tech Version (long but informative)

Originally posted by WE4

SERVOS:
A modified GN servo works well up to high to mid 11 sec cars, then the billet one should be used. The pin is modified according to the drivers likeness

So like most this is was a bit over my head;) but what effect can you minipulate by moddin the pin??

James

So like most this is was a bit over my head but what effect can you minipulate by moddin the pin??

Firmness of sec apply and 3-2 downshift..

Bruce
WE4

WOW Bruce, nice job! Answers a lot of questions. I have two more tho:

Awhile ago I was talking to Joey about the 2-3 flair most of these cars are prone to. He went on to mention that the 2-3 circuit was perhaps the "longest" circuit in this trans, and that raising and maintaining pressure QUICKLY was our main problem. I'm NOT disputing the cross leaks in the center support info, but am asking what else can be done to firm up our 2-3? I still get a 2-3 flair at WOT around 21psi+, below this it is fine and will sometimes kick the ass end sideways if the asphalt is cold. I wonder what else I can look for/do to assure a quick 2-3 shift under high torque conditions.

Second question, when do I start the BT transmission course? Lots of guys can OH an auto trans (myself included) but VERY few truley understand whats going on in there. :p

Bruce, thanks for your insights into these transmissions. I'm going to convert mine to the hardened stator and 10 vane pump later this year. Looking through the GM parts book, they list a half a dozen or so different thickness pump rotors and sliders. Do I have to take apart my current pump, measure the thickness of these two parts and get the same thickness or should I measure the depth of the pocket and use that as the criteria for getting the right parts? If I use the latter, how much shorter should they be in relation to pocket depth? I am looking in the C/K truck book with a 4L60E trans. Is there another application to use? Thanks.

Mark Giusti

Excelt post Bruce,
Its nice to know we got some very serious people/vendors lookin out for us :p May the force be billit :D

Originally posted by TurboJim
WOW Bruce, nice job! Answers a lot of questions. I have two more tho:

Awhile ago I was talking to Joey about the 2-3 flair most of these cars are prone to. He went on to mention that the 2-3 circuit was perhaps the "longest" circuit in this trans, and that raising and maintaining pressure QUICKLY was our main problem. I'm NOT disputing the cross leaks in the center support info, but am asking what else can be done to firm up our 2-3? I still get a 2-3 flair at WOT around 21psi+, below this it is fine and will sometimes kick the ass end sideways if the asphalt is cold. I wonder what else I can look for/do to assure a quick 2-3 shift under high torque conditions.

Second question, when do I start the BT transmission course? Lots of guys can OH an auto trans (myself included) but VERY few truley understand whats going on in there. :p

The 2-3 flair thing I have pretty much got handled. However at a hugh expense and lots of test hours and tech I really don't want to type it all. ( Remember the coke recipe thing)
Call and we will discuss. As for the school , when can you afford the tuition?
LOLOLOL

Need another guy as of 07/27......so.......

as for Mark....

you need to do just what you said and I am very impressed you caught that.(multiple sizes) Thats why the aftermarket sucks, because they use one set for all. Will not work, or correct anyway. Another way is to purchase a pump body already done and I think if you price them you will see the hassle you need to go thru and the importance that is concerned, This is the much better way to go. We make everyone unique to itself with GM only parts, but that is us.

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

One suggestion....How about clearances for the clutches/servos at various performance levels? I know you told me but I only wrote down the few that I was interested in.

Is the .010 per clutch spec not the same in a HP application?

Negative. I recall from one of Bruce's conversations that in some instances, he prefers like 0.040"-0.045" total for direct.

Bruce
You said your choice for shift kit "was" the original Art Carr. Is this kit not available any more? If not, what are you using?

Thanks,

Joel

I just build in my own. That kit was simple and worked well. I don't have too much experiance with "shift kits" as I just incorperate it. I do know what ruins them though......:)
Call me and I will, tell you what to do.

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

does the 200 4r mount up to a trans-warp drive?

I made this post just to get the thread in my "Subscribed Threads" that way I can always go back and look at all that useful info. Thanks WE4.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.