Street turbo question

TRBON8R

I've got a simple question. With the combo listed in my signature would a bigger turbo help on a 98% street driven car? My car is mainly a weekend cruiser and occasional stoplight skirmisher. I know the heads I'm running are capable of flowing much more air than my TA49 will deliver. One of my biggest concerns though is how much would the added air flow and HP that might be gained from a bigger turbo ramp down reliability on a car with a bone stock bottom end? Keep in mind this car is a weekend cruiser and not a strip warrior. My car goes out every week or two and may see 2 or 3 WOT blasts. Should I just step up to a bigger turbo and not be a wuss and worry about the stock motor? :D Thanks.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that in "street" trim I always run 111 octane gas.

Originally posted by TRBON8R
I've got a simple question. With the combo listed in my signature would a bigger turbo help on a 98% street driven car? My car is mainly a weekend cruiser and occasional stoplight skirmisher. I know the heads I'm running are capable of flowing much more air than my TA49 will deliver. One of my biggest concerns though is how much would the added air flow and HP that might be gained from a bigger turbo ramp down reliability on a car with a bone stock bottom end? Keep in mind this car is a weekend cruiser and not a strip warrior. My car goes out every week or two and may see 2 or 3 WOT blasts. Should I just step up to a bigger turbo and not be a wuss and worry about the stock motor? :D Thanks.

Hey, I am in Glendora, if you want to try my CPT-65, I will let you get a whirl on it. I would like to see how it works with less than a 3500 stall. Let me know if you want to try it out. It has a 4" inlet and a 2.5" outlet though. I have the adapters to make it fit. I have a feeling that it will friggin rock on your car! ERIC.

Eric,

I may give you a shout in a month or so when my car comes back from the paint shop. I'm kind of skeptical how well the turbo would work though since I'm only running around a 3000 stall converter. It would be a cool experiment though. I suspect a restall for the converter would be necessary.

Interesting to see you are in Glendora. I'm a former Arcadia boy myself. Born and raised not too far from you. Talk to you later.

Wow, you have everything to be in the 10's with the right turbo. I'd say if you wanted to keep it safe, stay on the small shaft and get a 61, pt51, 52 54, if ya wanna a huge kick go 63 and above. My favorite turbo was my Cottons 66bb and a 3k stall.