Street & Stripe buick t-type

BerettaMan

I bought this 1983 t-type regal about a year ago andthe guy I bought it from said ;it will go somewere in the 11's in a 1/4 mile at the drag strip if the tires hook up. but it has a 7.5 posi rear with 3:42 gear ,I was told 7.5 gm rear ends are weak and won't hold up on the strip so I am going to put a 9 inch ford with a 3:73 gear with a detroit locker my father inlaw has built 1/4 mile cars and he wants to cut the rear frame out and custom build a narrowed rear frame section and he said the best way is to cut out the trunk area. I really don't want to but the tires that were on the car were rubbing the frame when I bought the car .what would be the best solution my father inlaw said 18 inch tires won't hook up at the track because there is no side wall like a 15 inch tire .Is this true?

rear

Put away the cutting torch and Hacksaw for just a moment.

You have pleanty of room to fit enough tire under that car to do what you want! WAAAY more than enough to go 11's.

Many guys going low 9's with the stock wheel well.

The 9" Ford is a good Idea, if your willing to put the time and money into a rear, may as well get a good one. But you may try and locate a stock 86/87 GN rear to slap in there. Plenty strong to go 11's. 3:42 are what you want.
Dont let old School recomendations steer you wrong. These cars are different and respond different than cars of the past that your Dad may of drove.

I see no reason to hack on that car to go 11's. Waste of time and effort hacking on the car.

Your Father is right about the 15" vs. 18" tire sidwall issue. But you can get a 18' DR that would probably get you close to where you want? 15" is best for all out drag.

Sounds like your wheels have the wrong off set? Or are entirerly too big for the car. Has nothing to do with the rear. Car needs a proper set of rims that will fit the car. Do a search on this board for "offset" you will see plenty of info on the proper offset for your car.

Do your research on this board and you will find lots of info.

Do you know what has been done to the motor? What turbo? Intercooled?

I would start by getting the car running to its potential right now.

good luck!

Just my O2

Dennis

BTW what engine is in that 1983?

Pronto said:
BTW what engine is in that 1983?
It has a 383 stroker with ported dart heads and roller cam, 1.5 aluminum roller rockers,holly 850 double pumper with 1/2 fuel line but Iwant to put a turbo 3.8 back in it in the future . just can't aford it right now , i'd concider trading the 383 for a turbo 3.8 if I could but I don't know anyone that would trade for a v8.