Strange electrical problem with the dome light of all things

GNVAIR

My father came out to his car tonight. He closed the door and the dome light went out. He said as soon as he started it the dome light came back on again. I just spent the last hour trying to diagnose it. I checked the pin switches and the lights will flicker/dim momentarily when the circuit is opened (door closed)
I unplugged them and they still stayed on. I unplugged the head light switch thinking the switch was stuck and they still stayed on. I tried unplugging the 2 large flat plugs going to the steering column and they are still on. I am stumped :confused:
Has anyone had a similar problem like this?

Very likely it's a bad ground. Remove the switches, clean the surface, and reinstall.

While I had the switches out I saw that the metal was very clean underneath them. That is why I question what it could be that they would come on and stay on when the car was started.

The dome lights stay off because they loose their ground at the door switch That is where your problem is. The dome lights have found a ground through this switch. Most likely you have water, and corrosion there, at the switch.

Did you have a A pillar gauge set up? The wire runs down the driver side A Pillar.

The dimmer was the first thing I checked. As a matter of fact, I unplugged the head light switch and the dome lights still stayed on! No, he doesnt have any pillar mounted gauges.
I still think it might be something in the steering column or ignition circuit.

light on

I agree with Turbotim. The wires to the door switches have "found" a ground. A dirty/faulty door switch IMHO should cause an "open" and cause a non ground so I wouldn't suspect them in this case. Shake and pull the wires to the door switches for a quick and dirty test of a pinched or bare grounded out wire.
Good luck