Strange combination of problems

bq93

I had a couple of issues pop up at the same time and I’m hoping someone has seen this combination before.

I took the car out twice last Saturday. The first time I noticed it getting a little warm (200-210). I didn’t think it was that big of a deal since it was a very hot day and I was fully enjoying the A/C.

Later in the afternoon I took it out again and although it was cooler at the time, the car still began to overheat. Being a member of the male species I decided that rather than taking it easy to get back home I would see how it was affecting performance. The car was bogging down and lurching. When I came to my senses and just started to take it easy the car was kind of cycling in and out of overdrive. I checked all the gauges and the volts was showing about 11.

I got home and turned on the manual cooling fan to try to cool the car down so I could take the radiator cap off and see if the thermostat was opening. My neighbor is an amputee who recently had a stroke and about that time he came around the corner to talk. I didn’t want to leave the fan running that long, but he’s a nice guy and let’s just say the stroke hasn’t affected his vocal cords. When I finally got back to the car it was plenty cool, but the battery was dead.

I charged the car overnight and tried it again the next day. The car does seem to slowly overheat and the volts drop over about 10 minutes from about 11 to 9 or so and then the car dies. Although it looks like a possible alternator and thermostat problem it just seems strange that these tow things would happen at once. Is it possible that the tensioner pulley might be bad so the belt isn’t turning the water pump or alternator properly? How would I check this?

I know these may sound like obvious issues to some of you , but I'm a newbie and its just strange that they would occur at the same time so I’m looking for someway they may be connected.

Thanks,

Joey

Start the car and unhook the negative battery cable. If the car dies the alternator isn't putting out. If that's the case check for voltage on the field wire. If it's there then your alternator is bad. Fix that and then check to see if it overheats. It's possible that the fan isn't turning fast enough so it's over heating.

Looks like it is the alternator –

It dies as soon as I loosen the connection.

That idea about the fan not turning fast enough is the type of link I was looking for.

I guess the search for the best alternator is on.

Thanks for the input.

WAIT!!!! I just re-read my post and it said to unhook the negative cable. It should have said the POSITIVE cable. :eek: :eek: :eek: I'm sorry man. That was a total typo on my part.:redface: Try the positive.

if alternator bad, maybe low voltage to fuel pump is not pushing enough fuel to the engine causing the sluggish performance and lurching, along with weak spark aswell.