Strange antennae problem

bq93

When I bought my ’86 GN recently the radio wouldn’t receive anything and the antennae wouldn’t work. I assumed it was a bad power antenna and just resigned myself to having to swap it out. Interestingly enough I noticed that I could jump power to the antennae connection under the hood and the antennae motor works great. I’m not an electrician at all, AND I’m fairly unfamiliar with these cars, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Even with the antenna us the radio will not receive any stations, I don’t even get static. I did make sure it was plugged into the back of the head unit. I haven’t pulled the head unit to make sure it isn’t fried, but I was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem and could save me the trouble?

Could it be a relay or another loose connection somewhere? If the antennae motor is good it just isn’t receiving the signal from the radio, right? Is there some common component that would pervert the radio from receiving a signal and prevent the antenna from getting power?

there is a relay behind glove box and near the pass kick panel.check it for the up/down problem.
if there is not any fm/am reception after ant is all the way up,pull stereo and go buy a cheapo ant and plug it in to see if its the ant or stereo giving you problems. HTH< Gary.

Pervert?

I’m not sure how “prevent” became “pervert”, but I guess you knew what I meant. Thanks for the tip - I’ll look at it.

Is this relay something I can pick up at Autozone or do I need to order it fron a vendor?