Stock Wheel Wells Largest Rim and Tire that will fit??

thunderace31

Banned
I know this is a bad question and people have asked it before, but when I did a search I came up with everything that had the word "WHEEL" in it lol.

Anyway heres the deal Stock Rear wheel wells (No frame Notch) so Stock frame also. Will roll the wheel well lip to clear no biggie there.

What is the Max offset wheel and largest tire that will fit in there??

Offset is more emportant than tire size as I have been looking at used wheels but dont want to buy somehting and it not fit :eek:

8" wide Offset??? :eek:
8.5" wide Offset??? :eek:
10" wide Offset??? :eek:

One of my buddies says that 4.5" offset is max for a 10" wide wheel and 3.5 -3.75" offset is best for 8-8.5" wheel. I dont trust him becuase he is a Mustang guy and as far as I know its Mustang info lol.

Any help on this would be great and I am sure there are others on here that are looking for this info to ;)
Thanks in advance

Thanks and those are nice looking cars you have there!!!! ;)

I am looking at some Convo Pro's a guy has and some Pro Stars another guys has. and I am kinda leaning towards a 10" wide rim why I have no clue lol. Really just want to be able to run a 11" slick or M/T ET Street around 27" tall if I can find one :D
Oh I like your rims what ya looking to get for them??

A 10" rim would probably be best. As best I can remember, I think it is 4.5" back space on those.

for what its worth, the 275/60 is the same as a 28.11.50x15.

Yup it is close for a radial ;)
Was looking at the 275/60/15 in the New M/T Radial also. Dont really want 28: tall my other GN worked best with a 27" tall X 10" wide Hoosier Slick but dosnt look like they make them any more :(

But it's been so long I dont remeber the Damn offset!! LAMO Plus I dont think I ever did know it because I was young and dumb and just went to the Local tire store and said this is what I want bolt them on LMAO again they just did what I asked and they fit :D :eek:

http://www.gbodyparts.com/15x10gn_drv.jpg

This is a 10" with 4.5" backspacing.
Our 8" has 4" R.S.
8.5" works best with 4.25
factory 7" came with 3.75" r.s
Welds you get 4.5 or 3.5 R.S.
The important thing you should decide is what Tire size you want to run.The tire manufacturer will have a suggested rim size. The wider the rim the better tire width for surface to road. The more the tire bulges over the rim the better chance of rubbing on hard turns.

Thanks Bweavy what size tire is on the GN in the photo?? Looks about right for me :D

Thanks for the great info!!!
:D
Derek

Thanks but I am talkin in the 10" wide rim and tire size's relem if I am going to do this I may as well go as big as I can :biggrin:

Thanks agian for the info :biggrin:

Think you might also want to look at ride height when trying to fit some large meats on the back. If the car is lowered clearances might be tighter. Ask me how I know.

Running 275/60 DR's on a TT2 7" rim, yeah I know too skinny of a rim but that is what I had. Has about 1/2 clearance on the pass side to the frame rail and less on the driver's side. Used a 1/4 spacer just on that side.

Attachments

• dragradial1.jpg
    dragradial1.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 289
  • dragradial3.jpg
    dragradial3.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 237
  • dragradial2.jpg
    dragradial2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 248
Tires

I'm running a 295-50-15 on an 8.5" rim. Some people don't like the bulge but I love it. Looks like a sh!t load of meat.

Id say if those 295/50/15 fit under there on an 8" wide rim the should also fit on a 10" wide ??? :confused:

Also car is not lowered and has 2 air bags in the rear :D I dont plan to use the air bags to clear tires they are there to help tracktion :D 5psi in Dr. and 15psi in Pass :eek:

If you want a 10 inch rim, go with 295/50/15's. I have them on my monte, and they look bad a$$. On my 87 GN, I have 275/50/15's on the STOCK rims. I know that the factory rim is a little too narrow for these tires, but they still fit, look good, dont rub (no spacers either)......and saved me tons of money.

ANDYS87 said:
If you want a 10 inch rim, go with 295/50/15's. I have them on my monte, and they look bad a$$. On my 87 GN, I have 275/50/15's on the STOCK rims. I know that the factory rim is a little too narrow for these tires, but they still fit, look good, dont rub (no spacers either)......and saved me tons of money.

Been doing some looking at this size tire but Hoosire quick times are the only one I am finding in this size. I am lookin for a set up for the track so Ill just match this size in a M/T ET Street or M&H cheater slick :) Or as close as I can most dont get this wide in 27" tall they step up to the 28 that I am not sure I want lol. But I am very happy for all the info I just have to find the wheels and such before spring :)

IMO there is no reason to go with a 10" wheel unless you go with a frame notch and some seriously wide meats, like a 11.5"-12" Slick.

The absolutely best size tire and wheel combo on a stock car is a 15x8 with 4" BS and a 28/10.5 tire, which is a 275/60 in metric...I have a 15x8 Prostar's with 3.5" BS (Welds don't come in 4" only 3.5" and 4.5") and they are a little to close on the outside for me, but work...I've gone 1.64 in the 60' and the only thing holding me back from a 1.5 is how hard I can launch the car, tires hook everytime with a stock suspension, poly bushings, air bags, and 275/60 M&H DOT slicks.

Centerline's come in a 4" BS and fit perfect.

thunderace31 said:
Been doing some looking at this size tire but Hoosire quick times are the only one I am finding in this size. I am lookin for a set up for the track so Ill just match this size in a M/T ET Street or M&H cheater slick :) Or as close as I can most dont get this wide in 27" tall they step up to the 28 that I am not sure I want lol. But I am very happy for all the info I just have to find the wheels and such before spring :)

IMO every Buick in the 12's should run a 28" tire...Even if it doesn't make you quicker, I don't think it'll slow you down and you can launch so much harder on a 28.

Ok I am gettin confused now lol

I would like to know what is the best combo Tire and Wheel (I like the 10" wide tire deal Bweavy has, but still dont know what size tire there usin??)

I want to put the widest tire in the stock wheel well as I can and again I dont care if I have to roll the outer wheel well lip :D

Thanks agian guys

Ok maybe Weld Pro Star 3.5 bs will be the way to go here anyone else have info :confused:

Just want to make the right choice the first time and be happy with it.
Thinking Hoosier Quick time Pro 27" tall X 11.5 x 15 on 8.5 with 3.5 pro stars :confused:

Whats everyone think??

wide tire

If you want a wide tire a 295-50-15 is the way to go. The numbers mean
295 mm wide. The 50 means the tire wall is 50% of the 295, and the 15 is the rim of course. Just cause its a 50 series doesnt mean its wider!! And from above, it will fit on a ten inch rim just fin, I just prefer the bulge around the rim that such a wide tire makes. I've got welds w/ I think 3.5 Back spacing and mine fit excellent, but I have no rim. I know it will fit if you roll the fender though.

JeremysGN said:
If you want a wide tire a 295-50-15 is the way to go. The numbers mean
295 mm wide. The 50 means the tire wall is 50% of the 295, and the 15 is the rim of course. Just cause its a 50 series doesnt mean its wider!! And from above, it will fit on a ten inch rim just fin, I just prefer the bulge around the rim that such a wide tire makes. I've got welds w/ I think 3.5 Back spacing and mine fit excellent, but I have no rim. I know it will fit if you roll the fender though.

Just so eveyone Knows I am not a Dumbo :eek: I am a master Certified Mechanic :cool:
I may not spell well and I may not wrench for a living any more but I due know more than your avarge Joe :D

I know what the tire sizes mean, I also know how to find the Size of the tire with the #'s on the side of it to Inch's :D :eek:
Try finding one in this size that 1 is sticky and 2 is not a Hooser Quick time (Not a pro just a street tire) Good luck Hoosier is the only one. I want something as close to a slick for the street as I can get :D I like the size on the 295 50 15 but again like I said above need something more in the stick dept.
Any more sug. ??? :confused: