stock turbo going bad

xspetsnazx

some one please help me...got original turbo on my car but the turbo blades (facing out) are being chewed up somehow, like something went/going through it...intercooler cleaned and air intake hose/filter/MAF is inspected and no loose particles found...its my 3rd turbo :mad: so confused :confused:

some one please help me...got original turbo on my car but the turbo blades (facing out) are being chewed up somehow, like something went/going through it...intercooler cleaned and air intake hose/filter/MAF is inspected and no loose particles found...its my 3rd turbo :mad: so confused :confused:

Pics?

yeah, its not a perfect pic but here it is...

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 177
Looks like the compressor wheel nut came loose and it got sucked in. Don't see the nut anymore.

It should look like the stock turbo on the left in this picture.

44stockcomp.GIF

Check your MAF sensor or Air Filter for the remains of the compressor wheel nut, or else it got blown into your intercooler.
Either way it's toast and needs to be rebuilt and or replaced.
Engine oil system & Intercooler both need to be flushed for FOD and material.
Also, if you still have the stock oil cooler hooked up, you need to discontinue using it.
No matter what, I would not drive that car again, until those corrective actions had been performed. I would also install an oil pressure gauge on the car to keep tabs on the oil pressure. That much metal getting blown into your engine and oil system can and will eventually take out your main bearings. Loss of oil pressure will be your first signs of uh oh...

Hope this helps.

Patrick

I checked for screens...i was missing one already before anything went wrong, second 1 is still there. On that 1st pic, before it happened i had an oil leak on the top of the turbo from oil line i had it fixd to where it stopped leaking but i dont know if i already made the damage because when i realized something was wrong and took off the intake pipe., the bolt that was at the end of the shaft was off and that explains the damage on the first original turbo...but after that i picked up used stock turbo with little shaft play and ran that 1 after cleaning the intercooler and intake pipe from possible objects., it took 1 way trip to school before white smoke appeared from the exhoust and same problem but the bolt was still attached on that turbo, then i purchased another 1 from ebay in fair condition (41k miles) with VERY little shaft play and that 1 lasted 2 days untill same problem :mad: bolt still on it too...its like its cursed :frown: and here is the pic of this 1... lmao about the creature going for a wild ride :D

Attachments

• May13_0001.jpg
    May13_0001.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 180
  • May13_0003.jpg
    May13_0003.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 160
  • May13_0002.jpg
    May13_0002.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 168
yeah thats exactly what happened to the first turbo but then 2 more after that (even though i cleaned and checked everything and flushed the intercooler twice) went bad the same way :/ i know all 3 are gone and cant be used and dont think can even be rebuild anymore,i have another original turbo in good condition but afraid to install it bcuz same thing will happen to it...i think i still do have the stock oil cooler on it because the car is mostly original, and will discont. using it...Thank you Patrick

Ok, on that second turbo, you definitely have a FOD issue going on as that much damage is definitely caused by something going through it.

Have you pulled your oil feed line off and cleaned it throughly?

Take the MAF sensor off again and check it again. There are round plastic clips that secure the screens to the MAF sensor. There should be 2-3 round clips and either 2 or 3 screens. I would be willing to bet, if you remove your intercooler and flush it, you will have particles and pieces come out of it. Those round clips are black plastic that snap into notches on the inside walls of the MAF sensor that secure the screens.

If you oil feed line is good to go and the oil drain line is also good to go, I'm suspecting FOD damage from the MAF sensor or something getting past your air filter.

If you noticed one of the screens was missing on your previous tear down, I'm betting that's the main cause of continued failure. If you can imagine the light weight screen material getting chomped and blended by the compressor wheel under WOT, then when you let off the gas under WOT, the non digested pieces got blown back into your MAF and air filter. Odds are, those sharp particle pieces got stuck in the rubber of the air filter and eventually flew back into your new turbo over time and repeated the blending / chomping process.

The car just wants to eat, that's all. It's not possessed. :D
Yeah, I edited out the small creature getting injested comment. LOL
Just a few more thoughts.

Patrick

I havent cleaned the oil line, im going to do that ASACan. MAF sensor clips are in place and the screen was only on one side but there were two of them (on that same side for some reason) so i took 1 out...took the intercooler out (for the third time) flushed and pressure blew it, didnt see anything come out...I checked everything from the air filter (which i had replaced between turbos) to the intercooler...just got to take a look at that oil line now..yeah its defenately HUNGRY lol on the darn fourth turbo >:/

ok, took it all apart again :mad: ...oil feed line is clear and the intercooler also had nothing but the little shiny shavings off the last turbo blades...there was nothing inside that could have caused all that damage, idk what else to do :confused:...last thing, im going to take the car to have everything possible flushed and if its still going to chew up my (4th turbo) im getting rid of this POS :mad: