Stock Timing for 84 GN?

TurboRegal84

Staff member
Anyone know what the stock Timing is on the 84-85 Chip?

I am getting a new chip burnt and this would be great if i found out what the stock set-up is.

Thank you!

Originally posted by TurboRegal84
Anyone know what the stock Timing is on the 84-85 Chip?

I am getting a new chip burnt and this would be great if i found out what the stock set-up is.
Thank you!

22 degrees, I believe.

22 Degrees sounds kinda high to me...does anyone know of a write up or something like that?

Originally posted by TurboRegal84
22 Degrees sounds kinda high to me...does anyone know of a write up or something like that?
from guide to Buick:
ESC is continually monitoring engine operation for detonation and
retarding ignition timing up to 18-22 degrees, to minimize detonation levels.

i can believe the stock timing is high ...very hard to get the knock out at high boost..im still getting knock on strait 110 at 20#

I can believe it. I remember the stock chip worked really well with 100 octane and it had more timing than my aftermarket street chip.

This is strange..With my stock 84 Chip, and ECM I was running 19psi of boost with no knock. (on 93 pump gas)

I swapped ECM's, MAF's, and put in scanmaster and I havent been able to find a chip that dosent go crazy with knock..I am running 12psi of boost now, and I am seeing knock numbers from 14* of retard on up. (The car does knock alittle if I stay into it with 5psi into 3rd gear) It dosent look like its leaning out o2s are in the 790-820 range.

This is with both a Jim Testa Chip made for 18* of timing, and a Eastern performance street chip...Jim is gonna re-burn me a chip with some changes in it...but WTF is going on here?